COVID-19 Updates: For advice and updates for staff, students, and applicants who may have concerns about the coronavirus outbreak please visit our Situation Updates page.

Support for Care Leavers at the University of Northampton

We are committed to providing all students that come to us as Care Leavers with the support they need to enjoy a successful university experience. We offer a wealth of Care Leavers services, including pre-application help, a named contact, support after graduation and year-round accommodation.

If prospective students identify themselves as someone that has experienced care at all stages of university, accommodation and student finance applications, there is no limit to the amount of support they can access when they start a degree. Simply tick the box during your UCAS application to let us know you have been in care.

It’s important to remember that identifying yourself at application is totally confidential; it won’t affect your application or make any other difference to your time studying with us. We only want to ensure you receive the best possible university experience.

Our Care Leavers support framework extends to our Halls of Residence. A room is guaranteed for all new, full-time and first year students who apply and accept a room offer by the given deadline each year, with year-round tenancies available. Find out more on our Accommodation page.


Preparing Care Leavers for independence at university

We understand that moving away for university can be an overwhelming process. To help make it as simple and smooth a process as possible, we have ensured that we keep our students notified about our accommodation services.

Once the University of Northampton is your firm choice on your UCAS application, you will be given access to our Housing portal and will be able to apply for residence. Our Halls of Residence are usually leased only for the academic year, but students can apply for a 52-week contract to cover the summer period too.

You could be eligible to apply for our Care Leavers Accommodation Award, which enables students to access a fully-funded room in our Halls of Residence for the academic year 2021/22. This award funds up to 5 places.

Students can also be guided on how to find long-term accommodation within the private sector by the support of our halls of residence. Please contact for more information.

Financial support for Care Leavers in higher education

For our students that have experienced care, we have provided our Care Leaver/Foyer Award which enables students to receive financial support for university living costs. Please note, international and EU students are unable to apply for this award.

For additional financial guidance and assistance, contact our Financial Guidance Team on 01604 893299 or via email to They will answer any further queries you may have about funding your studies.

Find out more about financial support for Care Leavers below.

Financial support

Care Leavers education support

Our support for Care Leavers starts from the application process and guides you all the way through to post-graduation careers advice.

We provide you with a named contact. This is a member of support staff who can give you the guidance and advice you need. You can contact Nicky West, at the Student Information Desk:

Our Student Support hub also has all the contacts you need for support on your wellbeing, studies, social life and living on campus, and work and employability.

For other Care Leavers support services outside of the University of Northampton, you can also contact:

Foster Carers and Social Workers can also continue to provide support for Care Leavers at university. We’ve provided some helpful information on how below.

Foster Carers/Social Workers

If you need some assurance about getting started with your studies and life on campus, why not book onto one of our Open Days to have a taster of your desired course, see what life at the University of Northampton is like and receive further guidance on your decision?

Our Campus