Santander Travel Fund
Information for Student Applications
The University of Northampton, in partnership with Santander, have funding to support students wishing to undertake an international visit or project. Travel should improve either education, employability or entrepreneurship. Applications are accepted from all current University of Northampton students (including undergraduate students, postgraduate students and international students).
We are particularly interested (although not exclusively) in students who have encountered barriers to study and can demonstrate how this will benefit themselves and the University.
The programme offers awards between £500 and £1,000.
What can be funded?
Funding can be used for travel (economy only), accommodation, subsistence and other necessary costs for an overseas visit. This could include:
- Study visits linked to your field of study or research,
- International placements, internships, or opportunities linked to your field of study or research or to your career ambitions,
- Enterprising activities linked to your business aspirations.
All Santander Award recipients are required to provide a report, including photos where appropriate, following your return from the trip. You will also need to agree to your name and contact details being shared with Santander Universities as part of this award.
See how third year student Filip used the Santander Travel Fund for his 10-day trip to the United Arab Emirates.
The award will support travel to any country, however the Santander University Partner countries are preferred and these are currently Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Germany, Ghana, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Russia, Singapore, Spain, South Korea, Uruguay, United Arab Emirates, and United States of America.
- The trip must link to the applicant’s studies, career ambitions or enterprise.
- Sustainability of the project/research e.g. demonstrably leading to further research bids, collaborative projects, or access to further enterprise and employability opportunities.
- Have significant personal benefits to you and any barriers to study that you have faced.
- Applicants must be a current student of the University of Northampton.
What cannot be funded?
- Funds cannot be used for travelling within the UK or to commute to campus to attend University.
- Funds are not available for participation in conferences or for visits which are not directly related to a student’s course of study, career ambition or enterprise.
- Funds cannot be claimed retrospectively for visits which have already taken place, or for which bookings have already been made at the time of application.
- Students cannot receive funding for research or study undertaken in their country of nationality.
- Funds cannot be used for study or field trips which form part of your studies.
- Funding will only be awarded for attendance at a conference where the student will be presenting and have confirmation of presentation.
- Grants will not be awarded to substitute or supplement funding for fundamental aspects of research.
- Applicants cannot have visited the country before for a similar reason/trip.
How to Apply
To apply for funding applicants must submit an online application and a panel will determine if funding is awarded. The deadline for this application intake is 30 April 2020.Apply through the Santander portal
You will need to include a tutor’s supporting statement as part of your application.
For more information contact email@example.com
Laptops, Trips and Internships
We offer our students the following benefits included within tuition fees.
- A HP laptop*
- Funded travel and accommodation on compulsory trips
- Paid internships via the Northampton Employment Promise
- Free Microsoft Office and Windows 10
- Free sports clubs and societies
*Terms and conditions apply