Leading Change Together
In collaboration with Keele University, we have received £10,000 from the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education. This will fund research to explore the dynamics of formal and informal leadership practices and strategies. We will also make evidence-based recommendations for programmes and interventions suited to promote the career development of leaders at all levels.
The objectives of the project are:
- to explore how academics, professional services, managers, governors and formal leaders’ different views about change and leadership impact on their ability to manage and respond to culture change
- to provide a comprehensive account of the role that formal and informal leadership can play as a catalyst to change
The project consists of two phases. The initial phase involves a literature review and the development of a survey instrument which will be circulated to staff and stakeholders in the higher education sector. The second phase will involve semi-structured interviews with those engaged in the initial survey and others.
- February 2017 – the project team has now entered its final stage where the final report arising from the project is being drafted. Watch this space for details of our formal launch event.
- January 2017 – the project team conducted 10 focus groups and five individual interviews. Thank you to all those who kindly participated.
- September 2016 – over 300 responses to our survey were received and in order to seek further views, we extended the deadline for comments to 30 September 2016
- August 2016 – The team announced the launch of the survey
- April 2016 – The Leadership Foundation for Higher Education announced the projects that have been awarded funding in the most recent round, in this LFHE news release.
Project Team Members
The University of Northampton
- Dr Cristina Devecchi, Faculty of Education and Humanities
- Dr Hala Mansour, Faculty of Business and Law
- Nick Allen, Office of the Vice Chancellor
- Dr Jackie Potter, Head of Learning and Professional Development Centre