We understand the transition from school, college or work to university is an exciting but also potentially daunting experience which is why we are here to help you get settled in.
During the first few weeks of your course we’ll help you find the right balance between studying and other aspects of your university life. Between now and your course start date in September, there are a number of things you can do before you arrive to help you settle in.
Wondering what to do next? You can either:
- Download your Welcome pack from the list below or to the right hand side of the page
- Learn more about what it’s like to be a student at our University
- Get more information on issues that are important to you as a new student including information on accommodation, how to enrol onto your course or what to do before you arrive
- Get in touch with the Student Helpdesk if you are a new student who needs advice on student related queries
We have created an induction checklist to help you to orientate yourself to the University and its various services and facilities. We hope that you find it useful and that it helps you to feel at home here.
Faculty of Business and Law Welcome packs
If you are enrolling on a course with the Faculty of Business and Law in September, please visit the links listed below to find out more information about the first few weeks of your course and any recommended reading that you may need to do to prepare for your studies:
- Accounting, Accounting and Finance, International Accounting and Banking and Financial Planning
- Advertising and Advertising & Digital Marketing
- Business, Business Studies and Business and Management Top-up
- International Business
- Business Entrepreneurship
- International Development
- Events Management
- Fashion Marketing
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing and Marketing Management
- International Tourism Management, Travel and Tourism Management HND and International Hospitality Management Top-up
- International Relations and Politics
If you are enrolling on a course in any of our other Faculties, the welcome packs are listed on the right hand side of the page.
Study Skills Short Courses
We offer two short courses that will help you build up some of the skills you’ll need at university. The courses run online and both are free.
If you are starting an undergraduate course, the Study Skills for Academic Success course is designed to help you develop key skills including academic writing and references.
The Advanced Skills for Academic Success is an interactive and participative course designed to improve the academic skills and confidence of students preparing for postgraduate study at university.
In the downloads section of this page you’ll find documents including reading lists, short tasks and useful links. Each document has been put together by the relevant academic course team and is specifically designed to help you get ready for university life. Don’t worry if your course isn’t currently listed as we’ll be adding more over the summer.
As a student of the University of Northampton, you will automatically become a member of the Students’ Union when you enrol on your course.
Our Student Union is a dynamic community with 15,000 members and it’s absolutely free to join. Members are entitled to all of their services and opportunities, including sports, societies, volunteering, advice, representation and bar/nightclub events.
About Northampton and Northamptonshire
If you’re moving to Northamptonshire, why not take a bit of time to get to know the town and county before you arrive?
There are loads of videos on our Youtube channel exploring the town but we also recommend visiting:
- Boutique shopping in Northampton
- Grosvenor Centre
- Northampton Town FC
- Northamptonshire Britain’s Best Surprise
- Restaurants in Northampton
- Royal and Derngate
- Silverstone Circuit
- Visit Northamptonshire