Resource in a Box – Academic Reading
An interactive resource to quickly equip students with the skills needed for reading for academic study.
This box includes resources to support academic reading by helping students to:
- Learn strategies for effective reading
- Understand where research comes from and how it is disseminated
- Understand the different types of resource
- Reflect on their own feelings around reading and how these might affect their studies
Through activities, text mapping and expressive writing, students will explore different aspects of academic reading to develop skills and build confidence.
Target Year Group
- Year 12/13
Curriculum Subject Links
This resource can be used in any subject where students need to read independently for study. It is provided for generic use with an article on the theme of community gardens, but there is an option to use alternative articles that may suit different subject areas. The box can also be used for personal development and building reading confidence.
Relevance to UON study
Reading is a gateway skill for University study. Academic literacies, and students’ abilities to reflect on their self-perceptions around them, can have a substantial impact on student learning. This resource aims to introduce some of the skills needed for higher level study.
Physical box – Northants Schools only
Please contact email@example.com to arange drop off and collection.
Virtual box – All schools across the country
A virtual box is not available for this resource
Length of loan for the physical box
- 2 weeks
Potential of pre-loan teacher meetings
Our brand new £330 million campus.
- Designed to adapt to 21st century teaching.
- Full range of integrated learning environments.
- 24/7 library and learning zone.
- Low environmental impact.