Board of Governors
The University of Northampton is seeking an independent governor with significant expertise in the leadership and management of higher education. You will provide the Board with vital input and perspective from the higher education sector and on the University’s academic business.
Our governors benefit from being part of a successful and ambitious University whose mission is to transform lives and inspire change, for its students, graduates, staff and local, regional and international communities. As a member of the Board you can help the University engage with, reflect and respond to the needs of those communities. You will be at the forefront of the development of the University, overseeing its strategy, direction and long-term future. You will build professional networks, collaborate with other governors and staff, and build your profile and impact. You will work as part of a strong and supportive team of your fellow governors and members of staff. In return your skills, experience and perspective help the University to ensure that it continues to fulfil its mission, and provide the Board with a vital voice and experience from the academic and higher education sector.
Due to the nature of Board discussions, the role may be better suited to someone who has recently stepped away from a University leadership role. The role is not remunerated. Expenses will be reimbursed, this can include cover should you have caring responsibilities.
Find out more
See our brochure, which includes more information about the University, as well as the job description, person specification and how to apply.
For informal enquiries about the role, please contact Miriam Lakin, Clerk to the Board of Governors at email@example.com.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and CV outlining your suitability for the role with reference to the person specification. These should be sent to Miriam Lakin, Clerk to the Board of Governors by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why join us?
These quotes from our present governors should give you some ideas…
“I thought it would be about bricks and mortar. Wrong! The University of Northampton is about what you can do to change the world around you.”
“It’s an honour and a pleasure for me to support the University, which has an extremely strong social ethos, both in terms of its educational remit, but also in terms of its very positive local and regional economic and social impact. It is very ambitious in its desire to make a difference to the lives of its students and to the broader community it serves. If this appeals to you too, come and join us!”
“The University is forging new ground for Universities in Social Impact”
“I’ve thoroughly enjoyed working with my colleagues on the Board and I am humbled by the broad range and depth of private and public sector expertise they bring to the University.”
“One of the best Boards that I have served on.”
“If you get involved, you can really make a difference”
The Board of Governors are the members of the Higher Education Corporation and act both as Governors and charitable trustees. There are 17 members of the Board of Governors. They are drawn from the private, public and voluntary sectors as well as from the staff and students of the University.
The Board of Governors is responsible for:
- the determination of the educational character and mission of the University and for oversight of its activities
- the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the University and the corporation and the safeguarding of their assets
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- the appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts
- setting the framework for the pay and conditions of other staff
- the assignment and appraisal of the posts of Vice Chancellor, and Clerk to the Board of Governors
For further information, see the Board’s Statement of Primary Responsibilities.
Further information regarding legal compliance can be found on our Compliance page.
The Board of Governors has the following committees:
- Development Committee
- Audit Committee
- Nominations Committee
- Academic Assurance Committee
- Remuneration Committee
- Treasury Committee
Download the Terms of Reference for each committee.
The current board members are:
- Lucie Armstrong-Kurn – Professional Staff Governor
- Sue Dutton – Independent Governor, Deputy Chair of the Board of Governors, Chair of the Nominations Committee and Remuneration Committee
- Jeff Halliwell – Independent Governor
- Matthew Hanmer – Independent Governor
- Richard Horsley – Independent Governor and Chair of Audit Committee
- Gemma Lovegrove – Student Governor, President of the University of Northampton Students’ Union
- Mark Mulcahey – Independent Governor, Chair of the Board
- Nick Petford – Ex Officio Governor Vice Chancellor
- Martin Pettifor – Independent Governor, Senior Independent Member
- Nick Pitts-Tucker – Independent Governor
- Nicholas Robertson – Independent Governor
- John Skelton – Independent Governor
- Paul Wood – Independent Governor
- Cameron Vanloo – Student Governor, Vice President Education at the University of Northampton Students’ Union
Our brand new £330 million campus.
- Designed to adapt to 21st century teaching.
- Full range of integrated learning environments.
- 24/7 library and learning zone.
- Low environmental impact.