Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES)
The Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme was designed to give students who have almost finished their UK PhD or other doctorate qualification an additional 12 months of Tier 4 (General) immigration permission in which to look for and start work in the UK.
If you are studying for a PhD at the University of Northampton with a valid Tier 4 Student visa you might be eligible to apply for permission to work for 12 months at the end of your studies under this scheme. As the scheme is under Tier 4, you must apply for the additional 12 months before you complete your studies. You will need to apply up to 60 days before your course end date.
When can I apply?
- Once you have completed your Viva with no corrections and before you receive written confirmation or your award
- Before the course end date as shown on your CAS (your course end date is the date you will be awarded your PhD)
Please note the latest date you can apply is the day before your end date as shown on your CAS statement.
In the first instance, please contact the Graduate School by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The Graduate School will provide you with will a DES application form and provide further guidance on what you need to do before you can apply for a CAS statement.
Our brand new £330 million campus.
- Designed to adapt to 21st century teaching
- Full range of integrated learning environments
- 24/7 library and learning zone
- Low environmental impact