Your first week at Northampton
Starting a life in a new environment can be daunting. To make the period of settling in more easy we recommend that in the first week of your arrival to the UK you consider certain practicalities in embracing your new life here.
There are two stages to enrolment, pre-enrolment and face-to-face enrolment. You must complete both to be fully registered onto your course.
Pre-enrolment is a straight-forward process to verify your personal details and face-to-face enrolment takes place at the University.
What should you bring to enrolments?
- Completed Enrolments form
- Visa (BRP)
- Original Academic and English Qualifications/Certificates (your previous qualifications that you have used to apply for this course e.g. IELTS certificate, school diploma or certificate, references, etc.). These must be originals and photocopies will not be accepted
- Proof of UK Address (tenancy agreement/bank statement)
- Copy of your CAS statement
Opening a UK bank account
Opening a bank account can take time, as different banks have slightly different procedures. It can take a couple of weeks to open a bank account in the UK and so we advise that you bring enough money to cover your first two weeks in Northampton.
In order to open a UK bank account you will need to choose a local bank. You may wish to ask your friends to advise you and choose a local bank that meets your requirements and offers a good package.
Some of UK’s biggest banks include, but are not limited to:
In order to open a UK account you will need to take with you the following information:
- Visa (BRP Card)
- Student letter issued by the Help Desk. You can request the letter online.
Registering with a Doctor (GP)
It is important that you register with a doctor (GP) as soon as you have enrolled onto your course.
There is a doctor’s surgery on campus that any students living in Northampton can register with.
Alternatively you can choose to register with a doctor close to your home. You can find the nearest doctor located to you on the NHS website.
As part of your registration process you will need to take with you the following documents:
- Complete pre-registration form
- Student ID card
- Proof of address (no more than 3 months old)
What to do in Northamptonshire
To make sure that you are making the most of your new life in Northampton we thought you may want to have a go at what the region has to offer. Find out all the things to do in Northamptonshire.