COVID-19 Updates: For advice and updates for staff, students, and applicants who may have concerns about the coronavirus outbreak please visit our Situation Updates page.

Short term visas

Short Term Study Visa

A Short Term Study visa can be issued for short stays in the UK for part-time or full-time courses up to a duration of six months, for example if you have to re-sit a module. The Short Term Study Visa is a type of visa which enables you to study in the UK but it does not permit work during your studies.

If you are a visa national you will still have to apply for entry clearance in your home country but if you are not a visa national (do not normally require a visa to come to the UK as a visitor) you may be able to obtain your Short Term Study Visa at port of entry. For further information on student visitors please visit the UKVI website.


Schengen visa

If you are from outside the EEA and wish to travel to Europe from the UK you may require a Schengen visa. We do run workshops throughout the year to provide guidance on this type of visa and the documents you will require. In the first instance, please contact the Embassy of the country you intend to visit.

If you would like a member of ISSS to assist you with your application, please book an appointment via the Student Help Desk.


Standard Visitor visa

If you need to return to the UK after you have finished your studies for example, to attend your graduation ceremony, you will need to apply for a standard visitor visa. Our Student Help Desk will be able to produce a student status letter to support your application.

Friends or family who wish to visit you while you are in the UK or to attend your graduation ceremony should apply for a standard visitor visa. They cannot apply for, or extend, this visa in the UK. More information, including how to apply, is available on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website.

If your Tier 4 visa permission does not allow you to remain in the UK for your Graduation you will need to return to your home country and apply for a Standard Visitor visa to re-enter the UK. ISSS can advise on the process and documents required. The fee is £87.

With the Standard Visitor visa you can stay in the UK for up to six months but you are not allowed to work (paid or unpaid) at any time. You can apply for this visa up to three months before your date of travel to the UK.

If you are required to return to re-sit exams or re-submit coursework you should apply for a Short-Term Study visa.


You must always show that:

  • You will leave the UK at the end of your visit.
  • You are able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of the trip.
  • you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit

Documents you must provide

  • A current passport or valid travel document. You will need a page in your passport that is blank on both sides for the visa.
  • One passport sized colour photograph
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, e.g bank statements or payslips for the last six months
  • A certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh

Our Campus