Wednesday 18 March 2020
This page contains a series of links to documents, teams and resources to help staff plan for learning, teaching and assessment activity during the period when face-to-face teaching at Northampton is suspended due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Internal documents, guidance, FAQs, links to policies and Emergency Regulations etc can be found on the Staff Covid-19 updates page, particularly the page on face-to-face teaching. The latter contains information on recording of session, accessibility requirements, approaches to hyflex and on assessment, marking, moderation and academic misconduct.
- Overview for academic staff on what to do next: Why not watch this short video which identifies some core principles around learning, teaching and assessment generally, as well as some guidance on what needs to continue, what must stop and what you should start doing, in respect of assessment, and in respect of learning and teaching. In particular, it shows how ABL can be adjusted to accommodate the current situation while remaining valid and feasible as a pedagogic model. You can also access the slides, without the voiceover or read the transcript by clicking on the Attachments tab below the video.
- Encouraging Student Engagement – a collaborative Padlet from UON staff, for UON staff
- A simple lesson plan with a preparatory activity (as used in the Planning for Active Online Learning workshop)
- Recording Changes to Curriculum Documentation: Guidance on what needs to be documented for quality assurance purposes is now available on the SHED organisation on NILE. (You will need to self-enrol if you are not already a member.)
- How do I move my teaching and assessment online? Read this blog post from the Learning Technology Manager, Rob Farmer that is specific for staff at UoN who are needing to adapt their pedagogic practice. It covers: teaching tools, assessment, teaching online and sources of help and support.
- Maintaining Academic Integrity: The QAA have produced some guidance on good practice in assessment to mitigate the increased risk that students will engage in misconduct, particularly contract cheating, during the changes to University-life as a result of the coronavirus pandemic: Assessing with-Integrity in Digital Delivery.
- Look after yourself and stay in touch: C@N-DO L&Tea: … a daily online ‘drop in for a natter’, informal, not a workshop, not a ‘meeting’, no ‘agenda’, a chance for a bit of online company and a chat, with an L&T flavour. Starting on Tuesday 24th March, every weekday from 2.30pm, in this Collaborate room (University of Northampton staff only). The room will become available at the time of each session. Moderator: Shirley Bennett. Other sessions, including informal ‘pop-up’ online workshops are being offered regularly, many with a focus on designing for online learning. Please contact Ming Nie or Marie Graham for details.
- FAQs for PG Research students and supervisors.
- Ideas from the Sector: Check out the Covid-19 link on the left hand menu of the SHED NILE organisation (Sharing Higher Education Design) – external links and suggestions that you might find helpful.
- University Updates: Check out our UoN Situation Updates page – the main UoN source of information on how we are tackling the Covid-19 crisis.
- Supporting Student Engagement via LEARN (Learner Engagement, Attendance and Retention at Northampton) – pastoral support but also checking to see how well your students are engaging when you are not seeing them physically in class. (For UoN staff only).
- Overview for students on learning, teaching and assessment: a short video with key information and sources of support. The slides without the voiceover are also available or you can read the transcript by clicking on the Attachments tab below the video. The University also sent this email to students on changes to learning, teaching and assessment, on 24th March 2020
- LearnTech Guides on UoN learning technologies
- Distance Learning Support for Staff and Students (technological guides to UoN specific technologies for all staff and ideas from LinkedIn Learning)
- Maintaining accessible quality standards
Sources of Help and Support (people and teams)
Learning Technology Team (general support on all technologies to support remote learning)
ACE (Assessment, Ceremonies and Examinations) team:
- Assessment Team (for Regulations and Policy questions around assessment)
- Ceremonies Team at UoN (for information on graduation 2020)
- Exams Team at UoN (for information about end-of-year, face-to-face exams)
- You can also call them on (01604) 893474 but remember, the lines may be busy
Learning Development (for online academic skills support for your students)
Academic Librarians (for online information literacy support for your students)
Learning Design Team (for support in adjusting your assessment strategy to accommodate the loss of F2F exams, as well as ongoing module and programme development, including CAIeROs and other workshops)