- Date: Wednesday 10 June 2020
- Time: 14:00 – 16:00
- Location: Tpod B, Learning Hub
- Cost: Free
Working with students on the autism spectrum scenarios: We will consider a variety of contextually relevant scenarios and think of ways in which we can support students with autism in our university.
We will consider a number of statements about individuals with autism and think about whether they are true or false. A discussion will follow about the reasons for different answers. The main aim of this activity will be to promote better awareness of what autism involves and how it may affect the individual and we will attempt to identify and diminish stereotypical and harmful ideas about autism.
What staff needs will the workshop meet?
• I have a student in my class who I know has a diagnosis of Autism. I need to understand more about what autism is (and isn’t).
• What do I need to know about how autism may affect the way students with autism think and learn?
• What challenges may arise for students with Autism during typical academic situations?
• What strategies can be helpful when working with students with autism in a higher education setting?