Prior to joining the University of Northampton as a Senior Lecturer in Criminology, Susie worked at Keele University as a Teaching Fellow in Criminology, teaching modules on Criminal Justice Policy, Mental Health and Offending, Research Methods, Investigating Crime and Murder. She was also a Senior Lecturer in Community and Criminal Justice at De Montfort University for 6 years before leaving in 2014 to complete her PhD in Criminology, which is now undergoing corrections. Susie has also worked as a researcher at Birmingham City University conducting studies on problematic drug users in secure settings in the UK and EU, the resettlement needs of BAME ex-offenders, and the use of arts education in prisons.
Susie was previously Chair of the BSCPG Committee from 2010 to 2012, and has regularly attended and been involved in the Post-Graduate conference since 2008, when she was secretary of the committee. Susie is now the BSCPG Social Media lead – see the BSCPG1 Twitter account.
Susie currently teaches second year students on ‘Outsiders’ and ‘Doing Research in Criminology’, along with teaching first year students on ‘True Crime and Other Fictions’ and will be teaching third year students on ‘Crime: Perspectives of Gender and Race.’
Susie’s research interests are in community engagement in crime and justice, community justice (community courts, restorative justice, problem solving approaches), qualitative methodologies and the use of social networking in research. Her PhD is a qualitative study examining community justice from the perspective of professionals, residents and volunteers, using a case study of Middlesbrough.
- Baldwin, L. and Atherton, S. (2015) Parental Supervision: Unravelling Positivity from Complexity – The Community Supervision of Mothers, in L. Baldwin (Ed.) Mothering Justice: Working with Mothers in Criminal and Social Justice Settings, Waterside Press.
- Baldwin, L., Atherton, S. and Thompson, C. (2015) Policing Mothers: Intervention, Protection and Prevention, in L. Baldwin (Ed.) Mothering Justice: Working with Mothers in Criminal and Social Justice Settings, Waterside Press.
- Atherton, S. (2015) Community courts to address youth offending: A lost opportunity? British Journal of Community Justice, 13, 2.
- Atherton, S (2012) Cops and Bloggers: Exploring the Presence of Police Culture on the Web, Internet Journal of Criminology (online).
- Atherton, S and Crisp, A. (2011) Top Cats: The Role and Requirements of Leadership in Community Justice Initiatives, British Journal of Community Justice, 9(1/2): 7-20
- Atherton, S. (2009) Book Review: Victims of Crime and Community Justice, (Williams, B. 2005), British Journal of Forensic Practice, 11 (1).
- Wilson, D., Caulfield, L. and Atherton, S. (2009) Good Vibrations: The long term impact of a prison based music project, Prison Service Journal, 182.
- Sharp, D., Atherton, S. and Williams, K. (2008) Civilian policing, legitimacy and vigilantism: Findings from three case studies in England and Wales, Policing and Society, 18 (3).
- MacDonald, M., Atherton, S., Berto, D., Bukauskas, A., Graebsch, C., Parasanau, E., Popov, I., Qaramah, A., Stöver, H., Sarosi, P. and Valdaru, K (2008) Service Provision for Detainees with Problematic Drug and Alcohol Use in Police Detention: A Comparative Study of Selected Countries in the European Union, The European Institute for Crime Prevention and Control, affiliated with the United Nations (HEUNI) Paper no. 27 (available from http://www.heuni.fi/12542.htm).
- Heer, G. and Atherton, S. (2008) (IN)visible barriers: The experience of Asian employees in the Probation Service, Howard Journal of Criminal Justice, 47 (1), pp. 1-17.
- Sharp, D. and Atherton, S. (2007) To Serve and Protect? The experiences of policing in the community of young people from black and other ethnic minority groups, British Journal of Criminology, 47(5):746-763.
- Williams, K., Atherton, S. and Sharp D. (2007) The Resettlement of Black and Minority Ethnic Offenders, in A. Hucklesby and L. Hagley-Dickinson (Eds), Prisoner Resettlement: Policy and practice, Willan Publishing.
- Sharp, D. and Atherton, S. (2006) Out on the Town: An Evaluation of Brief Motivational Interventions to Address the Risks Associated with Problematic Alcohol Use, International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 50 (5).
- MacDonald, M., Atherton S. and Stöver, H. (2006) Juveniles in Secure Settings: Services for problematic drug and alcohol users, European Network in Drugs and Infections Prevention in Prison (ENDIPP) & BIS-Verglag.
- Atherton, S. Placing justice in the community in an age of ‘social polarisation’, paper presented at the 9th ENQUIRE Conference, ‘Inequalities and Social Research, University of Nottingham, 25 February 2017.
- Atherton, S. Seeing Justice Done: Voices from the community, Paper presented at the British Society of Criminology annual conference, Plymouth, 2015.
- Atherton, S. Cops and Bloggers: Exploring the presence of police culture on the web, Paper presented at the British Society of Criminology annual conference, Leicester, 2010.
- Atherton, S. Top Cats: Who are the leaders in community justice? Paper presented at the British Society of Criminology annual conference, Cardiff 2009.
- Atherton, S. Managing part-time study with full time work, Paper presented at the British Society of Criminology post graduate conference, Cardiff, 2009
- Atherton, S. When two worlds collide: Policing problematic drug and alcohol use in Lithuania, British Society of Criminology Annual Conference, Huddersfield, July 2008.
- Atherton, S. Juveniles in Secure Settings with Problematic Drug Use: Interim findings, paper presented at the International Prisoner Health Conference, Tallinn, Estonia, 19-21 June, 2006
- Atherton, S. and Williams, K. Everyone’s Business: Investigating the resettlement needs of black and minority ethnic ex-offenders in the West Midlands, paper presented at the British Society of Criminology Conference, Leicester, December, 2005.
- Atherton, S and Williams, K. Cruisin’ For A Boozin’: A study of two arrest referral schemes, paper presented at the British Society of Criminology Annual Conference, Leeds, July, 2005
- Atherton, S. Problematic Drug Users in Police Detention in the European Union: A review of current research, paper presented at the European Society of Criminology Annual Conference, Amsterdam, August, 2004.