Matthew Hindmarsh was appointed as Lecturer in Sport Management at the University of Northampton in December 2019 after being an Associate Lecturer in Sport Business for just over a year at Liverpool John Moores University. In 2015, Matthew graduated with a first-class BA(Hons) in Sport Development with the Business of Sport at Liverpool John Moores that led to him being awarded a scholarship for academic excellence during his three years of study, along with being offered an internship with the university.
Matthew is currently in the final stages of completing his PhD which explores the sponsorship of grassroots football and ultimately aims to develop a sponsorship process model that both clubs and their sponsors can adopt to enhance their relationship. During this time, he has presented his work at several research conferences and used his research interests to support grassroots clubs in procuring sponsorship for their organisation – to the total value of approximately £13,000.
Matthew is also a member of the Football Collective whereby he offers expertise and opinions into a variety of issues associated to the football industry, specifically the grassroots setting. He has additionally guest lectured at the University of Liverpool International Summer School on the topic of football business within the city of Liverpool. Matthew welcomes any enquiries regarding research collaborations in the fields of his research interest, those being: (grassroots) football, sponsorship, e-sports, and marketing.
- Associate Fellow of Higher Education Award
- BA(Hons) in Sport Development with the Business of Sport
During his time teaching, Matthew has delivered on a variety of Sport Business and Sport Management modules. His teaching responsibilities run across the Sport Development & Physical Education, and the Sports Studies (joint honours) degree courses. He currently leads on the modules of:
- SPO1006: Sport and Leisure Management
- SPO2043: Strategic Management in Sport and Leisure
- SPO3010: Event Management in Sport and Leisure
- O’Gorman, J., Fitzpatrick, D., Sibley, J., Hindmarsh, M., Saskova, Z., and Parnell, D. (2019) Contemporary Issues in the Management of Grassroots Football. In: Chadwick, S., Parnell, D., Widdop, P., and Anagnostopoulos, A. (eds.) Routledge Handbook of Football Business and Management. Oxon: Routledge.