Kate is the Head of Learning Development at the University of Northampton. The Learning Development team comprises tutors who advise students regarding their academic, mathematical and study skills via tutorials, embedded workshops, drop-ins and open educational resources. A large part of Kate’s work is leading the support offered to students transitioning into, through and beyond undergraduate programmes and post graduate provision. In recent years, some of this has been undertaken via open online courses and also through involvement in university-wide projects such as: first year experience, enhancing student success and welcome & induction.
Learning Development is part of Library and Learning Services. The team works closely with other teams within the department (Academic Librarians, Learning Technologists and Learning Designers) and beyond (Institute of Learning and Teaching) to deliver a service that supports and advises all students.
Kate has a BSocSc (Hons) in Sociology from the University of Manchester and an MSc in Information Science from City University London. She is also a qualified librarian, she has a Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education, is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and most recently qualified as a Certified Leading Practitioner in Learning Development in 2019. Kate is the Secretary of the Association of Learning Developers in Higher Education (ALDinHE).
- Loddick, A. and Coulson, K. V. (2018) Give us the money! Evaluating the effectiveness of Learning Development (and justifying our existence!). Seminar Presentation presented to: Association for Learning Development in Higher Education (ALDinHE) Conference 2018, University of Leicester, 26-28 March 2018.
- Loddick, A. and Coulson, K. V. (2018) Learning Development tutorials have a measurable impact on attainment. Poster presented to: Learning and Teaching Conference 2018, The University of Northampton, 15 May 2018.
- Coulson, K. V. and Sykes, G. (2017) Active blended learning – using advocacy to shift pedagogy. Paper presented to: Blackboard Teaching and Learning Conference, Milan, Italy, 21-24 March 2017.
- Coulson, K. V. (2017) £291.5 million and a new approach to learning and teaching: how to thrive and survive in an ever shifting landscape… Paper presented to: 14th Association for Learning Development in Higher Education (ALDinHE) Conference, Hull, 10-12 April 2017.
- Coulson, K. V. and Lomer, S. (2016) Cracker barrel session: the Centre for Achievement and Performance approach to blended learning. Other presented to: Northampton Learning and Teaching Conference 2016: Dare to be Different, The University of Northampton, 17 May 2016. (Unpublished)
- Coulson, K. V. (2016) How to be successful and then mess up… negotiating the world of blended learning. Paper presented to: Library and Learning Services (LLS) Conference 2016, The University of Northampton, 05 July 2016.
- Coulson, K. V. and Ewing, A. (2016) Teaching online: how we learnt from each other. Seminar Presentation presented to: Collaboration Observation Celebration Event, The University of Northampton, 21 September 2016.
- Coulson, K. (2015) Effective practice in the design of directed independent learning opportunities, : Study skills for academic success: SPOC and MOOC. Higher Education Academy – Compendium of Good Practice. , pp. 107-109.
- Armellini, A., Bennett, S., Coulson, K. V. and Farmer, R. (2015) From values to quality enhancement: a hands on journey through technology-enabled course design and delivery. Workshop presented to: Online Educa Berlin (OEB) – 21st International Conference on Technology Supported Learning and Training, Berlin, Germany, 02-04 December 2015. (Unpublished)
- Power, A. and Coulson, K. V. (2015) What are OERs and MOOCs and what have they got to do with prep? British Journal of Midwifery. 23(4), pp. 282-284. 0969-4900.
- Armellini, A., Howe, R. and Coulson, K. V. (2014) Effective online collaboration and academic skills within a transferable quality framework in Higher Education. Workshop presented to: Online Educa – 20th International Conference on Technology Supported Learning and Training, Berlin, Germany, 03-05 December 2014. (Unpublished)
- Coulson, K. V., Armellini, A. and Farmer, R. (2014) MOOC and SPOC: a tale of two courses. Workshop presented to: altc2014 Riding Giants: How to Innovate and Educate Ahead of the Wave: The 21st Annual Conference of the Association for Learning Technology, Warwick University, 01-03 September 2014.