As Head of Fashion and Textiles at the University of Northampton and previously Head of the School of Fashion amd Textiles at De Montfort University, Dr King has worked in academia for over 20 years. Her extensive international experience at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and in Mauritius, establishing a Fashion and Design Institute, has equipped her with a diverse range of HE, teaching, consultancy and cross cultural experience. Externally she is the Events Committee Director for the trade association The ASBCI, on SATRA’s Governing Body for Textiles and an academic consultant, the Chair of the Textile Institute’s Special Interest Group for Design and external examiner on several courses. Dr King’s knowledge, objectivity and broad design and technical industry links are well respected nationally and internationally. Research has focused on the area of colour and fashion trend forecasting, more recently examining digital developments, and comparative analyses of trend revivals in contemporary fashion.
Dr King has experiencing in supervising PhD through to completions as a first and second supervisor, and as an advisor.
Selected Conference Papers
- April 26-28 2016 GROUNDHOG DAY; IS 1970’s COLOUR REALLY BACK IN FASHION? Textile Institute World Conference, Poznan, Poland
- 10 and 11 November 2015, Futurescan 3, Intersecting identities
The Digital Revolution Within Colour Trend Forecasting
- 19–22 May 2015 Hue are You? Colour Trend Forecasts for Digital natives, AIC Conference, Tokyo
- 2–6 November 2014, A Comparative Analysis Of The Use Of Colour Forecasting Sources In The UK and Hong Kong, Textile Institute World Conference, Wuhan, China
- 19-20 September 2013, The Digital Challenge for Colour Forecasting, IX Colour Conference, Florence, Italy
- 8–12 July 2013, Colour Forecasting: Intuition or Repetition? AIC Congress, Gateshead, UK
- King, J. (2018) Assessing the impact of sharing textile crafts skills between UK and Indian universities. Paper presented to: 91st Textile Institute World Conference 2018, University of Leeds, UK, 23-26 July 2018.
- King, J. (2017) Communicating colour in online retailing. Paper presented to: 14th Asian Textile Conference (ATC14): Disruptive Innovations for Textiles and the Supply Chain, Hong Kong, 27-30 June 2017.
- King, J. (2017) Rewriting history: contemporary reworking of historical 1970’s fashion colours. In: Breaking the Fashion Rules: International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes (IFFTI) Conference, Amsterdam 28-30 March 2017. Amsterdam: IFFTI. (Accepted)
- King, J. (2016) Groundhog day: is 1970’s colour really back in fashion? In: The 90th Textile Institute World Conference. Manchester: The Textile Institute. (In Press)
- King, J. (2016) The digital revolution within colour trend forecasting. In: Britt, H., Morgan, L. and Walton, K. (eds.) Britt, Helena, Morgan, Laura and Walton, Kerry Futurescan 3: Intersecting Identities. Glasgow: Association of Fashion & Textile Courses (FTC) . pp. 95-98.
- July 2012: Colour in Design Edited by Best, J., Woodhead Publishing, Chapter 14 entitled ‘Colour in Fashion’
- May 2011: Textile Design: principles, advances and applications: edited by Briggs-Goode, A. and Townsend K., Woodhead Publishing Chapter 9 entitled ‘Colour Forecasting’