Johnmichael is a theatre-maker, educator and practice-led researcher. He holds a PhD in Theatre from University of Reading. His play, Rumi High, an intifada, is the center-piece to his doctoral thesis, which considers playwrighting by way of web-design as an expansion to collaborative playwrighting practices. As the founding Artistic Director of newFangled theatReR (Brooklyn, NY: 2004-2014), Johnmichael has written, directed and produced several new experimental works. His two plays, a TACK and trip, tik were published as a ‘pair of playz, in Play’N Amerika. He occasionally performs as ‘Dottore JoMiRo’ in The S’kool of Edumacation, an on-going site-specific interactive performance piece that explores and parodies pedagogical histories and institutional norms through mask. He collaborated with LOTOS Collective and Zoukak Theatre Company in Beirut, Lebanon on Triangulated City for which he was a recipient of TCG’s Future Collaborations travel grant. As a member of LOTOS Collective he was the WordSmith for Trial of the Mariner at Hoxton Hall, and Noah’s Ark(IVE), an ArtsWorks residency at The Barbican Pitt Theatre. Most recently, his play Disseminating Onkalo was presented in collaboration with Rachael Champion by the Zabludowicz Collection in Sarvisalo, Finland.
He is the co-convener for the Performance-as-Research Working Group for the International Federation of Theatre Research and has presented work in Spaine, India, Sweden, Brazil, Serbia and China.
Johnmichael is the former Education Director for Women’s Project’s education program and a co-founder of Brooklyn Theatre Arts High School where he served as Resident Teaching Artist for Vital Theatre. He has also taught for the Lincoln Center Institute, Brooklyn Arts Council and Manhattan New Music Project; having taught in over eighty public schools across New York City. Johnmichael is currently writing a contemporary adaptation of the Prometheia trilogy, (Promethe)üs, a forethought and developing a new work: d;vine, a deconstruction of Dante’s Divine Comedy as an interrogation of race in America.
- DRA1023 Creating Theatre
- DRA2001 Specialist Study
- DRA2002 Actor & Text
- DRA2032 Writing for Performance
- DRA4001 Adaptations
Research Interests and Topics for Postgraduate Supervision:
- Practice-Led Research in Contemporary Theatre and Performance Practices
- Directing, Devising & Playwriting
- Collaborative Practices and Issues of Authorship
- Political Performance
- Literary and Performance Playtexts and the Digital
- Immersive, Interactive and Participatory Theatre
- Intersections between Pedagogy and Artistic Practice
- Modern and Contemporary American Theatre
- Theatre Ensembles, Collectives
- Musical Theatre, Hip-Hop Theatre and Cross-Sections Between Popular Culture and Performance
- ‘Dramatizing an Articulation of the P(A)rtistic Researcher’s Posthuminism Pathway to a ‘Slow Professorship’ Within the Corporate University,’ Chapter 9 in Posthumanism and Higher Education: Reimagining Pedagogy, Practice and Research, Eds: Carol Taylor & Annouchka Bayley, Palgrave Macmillan, 2019
- Titus Anonymous, fragments of… CreateSpace Independent, November 2018, (ISBN: 1725907259)
- Play’N AmerikA, a pair of playz CreateSpace Independent, August 2016, (ISBN: 1535573546)
- gentlefucknation – CreateSpace Independent, November 2016, (ISBN: 1539511700)