John Sinclair gained his first degree in (Physical) Geography from the University of Aberdeen in 1986 and then completed an MPhil in Quaternary Geology at London Guildhall University in 1993. Whilst at the University of Northampton he has completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Research Degree Supervision and is currently finalising his portfolio of publications in preparation for a PhD by Published Works.
John has responsibility for resource management, the student experience, educational partnerships and performance management. Originally from the Aberdeen area, and a graduate of the University of Aberdeen and London Guildhall University, John has a background in Quaternary Geology and has research interests in long-term climate change, sea level change and the geology of radon.
Having begun his career at St Mary’s University College in Twickenham in 1989, John joined the (now) University of Northampton in 1993 as subject leader for Earth Science before becoming Associate Dean in 2004 and Deputy Dean in 2010. John is an active STEM Ambassador and has championed the role of the University in providing enrichment activities for schools for many years.
John contributes to BSc Geography, notably modules in Geomorphology, Physical Geography Practical and Understanding Change in Physical Geography.
John’s main research area relates to the early Quaternary history, landscape development and sea level changes in East Anglia and the southern North Sea Basin. In addition, John contributes to the work of the University’s Radon Research Group and has presented and published in areas of pedagogic research, especially around graduate employability and skills.
- Dravid, R., Bates, J. and Sinclair, J. M. (2015) Capturing student voice: developing a peer-to-peer forum for student engagement on transnational programmes. Paper presented to: 5th Quacquarelli Symonds Middle East and North Africa Professional Leaders in Education (QS-MAPLE) Conference and Exhibition, Doha, Qatar, 05-07 May 2015. (Unpublished)
- Sinclair, J. M., Allen, S. C. H., Davis, L., Goodchild, T., Messenger, J. and Turner, S. J. (2014) Enhancing student employability skills through partnership working in STEM outreach: the University of Northampton approach. Paper presented to: Higher Education Academy (HEA) Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) 3rd Annual Teaching and Learning Conference 2014: Enhancing the STEM Student Journey, University of Edinburgh, 30 April-01 May 2014.
- Denman, A. R., Sinclair, J. M., Phillips, P. S., Crockett, R. G. M. and Groves-Kirkby, C. J. (2013) The cost effectiveness of radon reduction programmes in domestic housing in England and Wales: the impact of improved radon mapping and housing trends. Environment International. 59, pp. 73-85. 0160-4120.
- Groves-Kirkby, C. J., Denman, A. R., Phillips, P. S., Crockett, R. G. M. and Sinclair, J. M. (2010) Comparison of seasonal variability in European domestic radon measurements. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences. 10(3), pp. 565-569. 1561-8633.
- Groves-Kirkby, C. J., Denman, A. R., Phillips, P. S., Crockett, R. G. M. and Sinclair, J. M. (2009) Seasonal variability in European radon measurements. Poster presented to: European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, 19-24 April 2009. (Unpublished)
- Morris, J. R., Adams, K. T., Phillips, P. S. and Sinclair, J. M. (2000) Landfill Tax and the environmental body or Landfill Tax Credit Scheme in East Anglia. Environmental and Waste Management. 3(3), pp. 131-140. 1460-5147.