- Member UKAEL – United Kingdom Association of European Lawyers
- Member UACES – University Association for Contemporary European Studies
Recent Conference Presentations and Invited Lectures:
- Promotion of User Rights (October 2012)invited expert contribution, CESI Europe Academy, Symposium, Providing high-quality Public Services in Europe based on the values of Protocol 26 (TFEU), Warsaw. http://www.cesi.org/seminares/seminares.html
- Changes and Challenges: Examples from an Anglo-Saxon System May 2011, University of Copenhagen, The Role of Social Services of General Interest in EU Law: New Challenges and Tensions
- Division of Responsibilities in SGEI’s: EU, Member States and Service Providers September 2010, Brussels, ERA Annual Conference on European Water Management Law
- USO’s, PSO’s & Complex Relationships in Competition law March 2010, University of Leicester
- USOs, PSOs in Liberalised Sectors June 2009, London, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, Governments and Services of General Interest in a Global World
- Normative networks and data flows for European consumer policy: consumer voice and influence in the policy process May 2009, EUI Florence, Consumer Loans and the Role of Credit bureaus in Europe
- Constitutional entrenchment of new governance in consumer policy formulation: a platform for consumer citizenship practice?
- May 2009, University of Helsinki, CoE Foundations of European Law and Polity Annual Conference – The Many Constitutions of Europe
- Sale of Goods and Agency
- European and International Private Law
- The EU Institutions and Constitutional Formalities
- The EU Single Market
- EU and UK Competition Law
- Principles of EU Law
- Private International Law
- International Corporate Law
Jim is currently the lead supervisor on two PhD projects: European trademark law and monopolistic issues of brand culture as they impact on third parties and consumers; analysis of the legal personality, if any, and the jurisprudential credentials of the World Bank and IMF with a specific focus on the Word Bank’s Inspection Panel.
Jim would particularly welcome enquiries about projects covering various aspects of European and international private law, particularly projects concerned with the legal and regulatory frameworks provided for economic and/or social service provision (SGEIs and SSGIs); the rise of the Public Service Industry; and with issues of economic/consumer citizenship.
Jim’s current personal research agenda is focused on two sites. Firstly, that of European Essential Services of General Interest: an area in which Jim provides commentary as a recognised expert in the field through analytical and critical research. This site of interest has a focus on services of general interest that may be either economic or social in character, and that embrace the provision of essential network services and the provision of welfare goods and services. Of particular interest is the increasing reliance on the private provision of end user services in social sectors, and the evolution of universal and public service obligations.
Jim’s second and overlapping area of research interest is concerned with issues of citizenship, individual rights and responsibilities and the operation of private law in what were once public spaces. It is a site of interest concerned with the developing role of individuals and of civil society in an increasingly global economy. It provides a focus on the normative influences that provide for individual rights and that create individual responsibilities. It asks questions of what we may mean by citizenship in the context of supranational, global and technologically developed market economies.
- Davies, J. (2016) ADR/ODR: too much optimism in the promotion of cross-border trade? In: Hess, B., Bergstrom, M. and Storskrubb, E. (eds.) EU Civil Justice: Current Issues and Future Outlook. Oxford: Hart. pp. 35-56.
- Davies, J. (2014) ADR/ODR: too much optimism in the promotion of cross border trade? Invited Presentation presented to: Consumer Arbitration Workshop, Brunel University Law School, 03 September 2014. (Unpublished)
- Davies, J. (2014) Opening up public services: marketisation of social services. Invited Presentation presented to: Innovative Approaches in Providing Services of General Interest at National, Regional or Local Level in Europe, EESC, Brussels, 04 November 2014. (Unpublished)
- Davies, J. (2014) Privatisation of public service delivery in the EU: where lay the public service obligations in social service provision? In: Beneyto, J. M. and Maillo, J. (eds.) Fostering Growth in Europe: Reinforcing the Internal Market. Madrid, Spain: CEU Instituto Universitario de Estudios Europens. pp. 97-122.
- Davies, J. and Bauby, P. (2014) Public services, services of general interest: what are we talking about? Invited Presentation presented to: Northampton Public Services Seminar, The University of Northampton, 17 March 2014. (Unpublished)
- Davies, J. (2014) USOs, citizenship & modernisation of the public services landscape. Invited Keynote presented to: Round Table Discussion on Universal Services and Citizenship, University of Sussex, Brighton, 19 November 2014. (Unpublished)
- Davies, J. (2013) ADR/ODR: threads of consumer protection or cosmetic accessories to a broader civil law agenda? Invited Presentation presented to: Civil Justice in the EU – Growing and Teething?, Uppsala, 17-18 October 2013. (Unpublished)
- Davies, J. (2013) Developments in services of general interest: towards a values based recognition of the European consumer citizen? Seminar Presentation presented to: International and European Law Research Seminar Series, University of Lincoln, 13 March 2013. (Unpublished)
- Davies, J. (2013) Le paradoxe de la ‘Big Society’ au Royaume-Uni: mutation et continuite de l’action publique [Transformation of public action and public governance: the paradox of the ‘Big Society’ in the UK]. Observatoire de L’Action Publique.
- Davies, J. (2013) Privatisation of public service delivery in the EU: where lay the public service obligations in social service provision? Paper presented to: Fostering Growth: Reinforcing the Internal Market, University of San Pablo, Madrid, 28-29 October 2013. (Unpublished)
- Davies, J. (2012) Changes and challenges in UK social services: social services of general interest or ‘welfare’ services of general economic interest? In: Neergaard, U. B., Szyszczak, E., van de Gronden, J. and Krajewski, M. (eds.) Social Services of General Interest in the EU. The Hague: TMC Asser Press. pp. 513-540.
- Davies, J. (2012) Consumer protection in a normative context: the building blocks of a consumer citizenship practice. In: Devenney, J. and Kenny, M. (eds.) European Consumer Protection: Theory and Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 354-377.
- Davies, J. (2012) How well placed is the optimism surrounding the new ADR/ODR proposals? Zeitschrift für Europäisches Unternehmens- und Verbraucherrecht = Journal of European Consumer and Market Law. 1(2), pp. 63-66. 2191-3412.
- Davies, J. (2012) Protocol 26 and the promotion of user rights. Invited Presentation presented to: Providing High-Quality Public Services in Europe Based on the Values of Protocol 26 TEU and TFEU, Warsaw, Poland, 11-12 October 2012. (Unpublished)
- Szyszczak, E., Davies, J., Andenaes, M. and Bekkedal, T., (eds.) (2011) Developments in Services of General Interest. The Hague: TMC Asser Press. 9789067047333.
- Davies, J. (2011) The European Consumer Citizen in Law and Policy. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. 9780230300286.
- Davies, J. and Szyszczak, E. (2010) ADR: effective protection of consumer rights? European Law Review. 35(5), pp. 695-706. 0307-5400.
- Davies, J. and Szyszczak, E. (2010) Division of responsibilities in SGEI’s: EU, member states and service providers. Invited Presentation presented to: Annual Conference on European Water Management Law 2010, Brussels, 23-24 September 2010. (Unpublished)
- Davies, J. (2009) Constitutional entrenchment of new governance in consumer policy formulation: a platform for consumer citizenship practice. Paper presented to: Centre of Excellence in the Foundations of European Law and Polity (CoE) Annual Conference: The Many Constitutions of Europe, University of Helsinki, 12-14 May 2009. (Unpublished)
- Davies, J. (2009) Entrenchment of new governance in consumer policy formulation: a platform for European consumer citizenship practice? Journal of Consumer Policy. 32(3), pp. 245-267. 1573-0700.
- Davies, J. (2009) Normative networks and data flows for European consumer policy: consumer voice and influence in the policy process. Invited Presentation presented to: Consumer Loans and the Role of Credit Bureaus in Europe, European University Institute, Florence, May 2009. (Unpublished)
- Davies, J. (2009) USO’s, PSO’s in liberated sectors. Invited Presentation presented to: Governments and Services of General Interest in a Global World, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, London, 15 June 2009. (Unpublished)