Jasmine Shadrack is a Lecturer in Popular Music at the University of Northampton’s School of the Arts. She is the choir and band master of the Popular Music department’s chamber choir who’s performances to date include a Metal rendition of Mozart’s Requiem Mass, a Breakcore/Uncommon Techno rendition of Vivaldi’s Gloria, Verdi’s Dies Irae and Orff’s O Fortuna. The next performance will be of Saint-Saens Requiem and Danse Macabre and Grieg’s Hall of the Mountain King.
Jasmine Shadrack’s teaching modules range from level 4 to level 6 performance alongside socio-musicological and cultural theory approaches to the examination of popular music from Stravinsky to Skrillex.
Jasmine Shadrack’s research areas and publications are concerned with Feminism, space, music and performativity. Her PhD is on women in Extreme Metal. As part of her working research practice she is the guitarist/front woman of a Black Metal band. She is also the lead investigator on a successful funding bid through the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council in association with Queen Mary’s University London and the Academic Charts Online.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2018) Mater omnium and the cosmic womb of the abyss: nomadic interiorities and matrifocal black metal performance. Metal Music Studies. 4(2), pp. 281-292. 2052-3998.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2017) Denigrata Cervorum: interpretive performance autoethnography and female black metal performance. Doctoral thesis. The University of Northampton.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2017) From enslavement to obliteration: extreme metal’s problem with women. In: Jones, R. E. and Davies, E. (eds.) Jones, Rhian E and Davies, Eli Under My Thumb: Songs that Hate Women and the Women who Love Them. London: Repeater Books. pp. 170-184.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2017) Gratiae salutaris percipiendae: exhumation through catharsis or how the darkness gave me light. In: Scott, N. and Shadrack, J. H. (eds.) Scott, Niall and Shadrack, Jasmine Hazel Helvete 4. New York: Punctum Books. (In Press)
- Shadrack, J. H. (2017) Healing the mother wound: grief management and metal performance. Invited Presentation presented to: Music and…Death, Vienna, Austria, 02-03 December 2017.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2017) Malefica: the witch as restorative feminism in matrifocal black metal performance. In: Panayotov, S. and Lukas, D. (eds.) Panayotov, Stanimir and Lukas, Daniel Black Metal Rainbows. Canada: Schism Press. (Accepted)
- Shadrack, J. H. (2017) Performance of Dido and Aeneas. Performance at: Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas The Royal Theatre, Northampton, 10 June 2017.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2016) Mater omnium and the cosmic womb of the abyss: nomadic interiorities and matrifocal black metal performance. Invited Presentation presented to: Metal in Strange Places: Aural, Emotional, Tactile, Visual, University of Dayton, Ohio, USA, 20-22 October 2016.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2015) Requiem Macabre. Performance at: Requiem Macabre Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Northampton, 03-04 July 2015.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2014) Member of the Academic Charts Online academic advisory board.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2014) Femme-liminale: corporeal performativity in death metal. Paper presented to: Metal and Marginalisation Conference: Gender, Race, Class and Other Implications for Hard Rock and Metal, The University of York, 11 April 2014. Also presented at: Pop Life Conference, The University of Northampton, 06-07 June 2014 (Unpublished)
- Shadrack, J. H. (2014) Gloriosa Fusione. Performance at: Gloriosa Fusione All Saints Church, Northampton, 14 June 2014.
- Shadrack, J. H., Dixon, S. and Press, R. (2014) MUSIC – Metadata Used in Semantic Indexes and Charts. Academic Rights Press.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2013) Requiem di Mozart Fusione: a Metal Interpretation. Performance at: Requiem di Mozart Fusione Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Northampton, 08 June 2013.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2013) Resisting the palimpsest: reclamation of the female cultural body. Art and Design Review. 1(2), pp. 11-14. 2332-1997.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2012) Occupying the simulation: the sexualised panopticon. Revue-Artéfact: Culture Eclectique. #2, pp. 16-29. 2262-2780.
- Shadrack, J. H. (2011) A Discourse on neuromarketing of the Western male id. Invited Presentation presented to: The Futures of Feminism: New Directions in Feminist, Women’s & Gender Studies: Annual Feminist & Women’s Studies Association (FWSA) Conference, Brunel University, London, 05-07 June 2011. (Unpublished)
- Shadrack, J. H. (2011) V versus Hollywood: a discourse on polemic thievery. Studies in Comics: Alan Moore Themed Issue. 2(1), pp. 195-205. 2040-3232.