James was educated at Birkbeck, University of London, graduating with LLB (Hons). He was awarded a LLM degree with merit from London Metropolitan University for his dissertation entitled “Political Justice: A brief outline of Kirchheimer’s sense of Political Justice.” James obtained his postgraduate professional qualifications at the University of Westminster (LPC Merit) and the College of Law. He is currently studying for his PhD at Birkbeck, University of London.
Before joining the University of Northampton as Senior Lecturer in Law in 2005, James practiced as a litigation solicitor in a central London firm, dealing with insolvency and commercial cases, having helped found the firm.
James has previously taught at the University of East London, Birkbeck, University of London, the Open University, and the University of London International Programmes specialising in legal method, legal reasoning and contract law.
At Birkbeck, University of London, James was awarded the Helena Kennedy Essay prize.
James is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, member of the Law Society of England and Wales, the Socio-Legal Association and of the Society of Legal Scholars.
James leads on the Law & Society, Contract Law and Law in Context modules and co-teaches on the Tort Law and Child Law modules. Additionally he supervises a number of dissertation students
James’ research interests focus on political and legal theory, the administrative banalities of law masking the extremes of politico-legal violence, in the context of politics of justice and language and practice of law.
- Ressel, J. (2016) Modern statutory interpretation. A note from the SLS 2016 Conference at Oxford. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 20/09/2016
- Ressel, J. (2016) The Panama Papers and material law. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 03/05/2016
- Ressel, J. (2015) Good news! The Strasburg Court does not overrule UK laws after all. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 01/02/2015
- Ressel, J. (2014) 'I am on annual leave': why being on holiday is taboo. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 20/10/2014
- Ressel, J. (2014) A short note on interpretation of legal texts. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 29/03/2014
- Ressel, J. (2014) Aysha King - medical treatment and the notion of 'neglect'. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 04/09/2014
- Ressel, J. (2014) Digital media and altered states. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 24/04/2014
- Ressel, J. (2014) Hierarchies of knowledge: teaching law as a transformative experience. Paper presented to: Northampton Learning and Teaching Conference 2014: Northampton 2018: Planning, Designing and Delivering Student Success, The University of Northampton, 22 May 2014. (Unpublished)
- Ressel, J. (2014) Human rights, the law, common sense and the question of freedom. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 08/10/2014
- Ressel, J. (2014) Introduction to: 'Project Hero' and the student loan sell-off. (Unpublished)
- Ressel, J. (2014) Speech as "self-evident story": when not to listen. Paper presented to: Socio-Legal Studies Association (SLSA) Conference, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen Business School, 09-11 April 2014. (Unpublished)
- Ressel, J. (2014) Teaching law etymologically. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 26/05/2014
- Ressel, J. (2014) The "52 week, 24 hour" university. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 11/05/2014
- Ressel, J. (2014) The politics of Higher Degree supervision. Or: why Einstein would never get his PhD! Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 01/04/2014
- Ressel, J. (2013) Democracy and rule of law: the Hungarian goulash. Law, Culture & Ideas Blog. 23/06/2013
- Ressel, J. (2013) Legal regulation of social media. Northampton: BBC Radio Northampton. 28 February 2013.
- Ressel, J. (2013) Presentation and workshop on reading cases. Workshop presented to: Why Bother Reading Cases! Or, How do Students Read, Interpret and Understand Judgments and Reported Legal Cases?, The University of Northampton, 26 April 2013. (Unpublished)
- Ressel, J. (2010) The (im)possibility of culpability in a 'Trial by fiat of the successor regime'. Paper presented to: Socio-Legal Studies Association Annual Conference (SLSA), Bristol Law School, UWE, Bristol, 30 March - 1 April 2010. (Unpublished)
- Ressel, J. (2009) Commissioning Editor. JOALS: Journal of Academic Legal Studies. Hannover, Germany: Leibniz Universitat, Hannover. 1862-0280. The Journal of Academic Legal Studies Medical Law and Bioethics Group at the ZEWW, Leibniz University of Hannover, Im Moore 21 (Hinterhaus) 30167 Hannover. GERMANY
- Ressel, J. (2009) Deciding who gets the house. Northampton Chronicle and Echo. [Legal column]
- Barendt, E. (2009) Freedom and privacy of speech: balancing two rights. Lecture presented to: Dialogues!, The University of Northampton, 11 May 2009. Appendix material contributed by James Ressel. (Unpublished)
- Ressel, J. (2009) The law aims for a clean break. Northampton Chronicle and Echo. [Legal column]
- Ressel, J. (2008) The problem of 'Free Speech' in the idea(l) of freedom of speech. Murdoch University Electronic Journal of Law. 15(2), pp. 168-184. 1321-8247.