Helen is a lecturer in the division of psychology. Her teaching revolves around evolutionary and biological psychology, personality and individual differences, and quantitative research methods. Currently, she teaches first and second year undergraduates and supervises third year undergraduate dissertations.Her doctoral work focused on psychological and evolutionary perspectives of creativity. In particular, Helen tested Geoffrey Miller's theory that art evolved through sexual selection and hence the production of artworks act as a mating display. Currently, Helen is collaborating on a project that aims to understand teenage pregnancy and motherhood from an evolutionary perspective.
- Clegg, H., Owton, H. and Allen-Collinson, J. (2017) Challenging conceptions of gender: UK dance teachers' perceptions of boys and girls in the ballet studio. Research in Dance Education. 1464-7893. (In Press)
- Saunders, D., Clegg, H., Roe, C. A. and Smith, G. D. (2017) Exploring the role of need for cognition, field independence and locus of control on the incidence of lucid dreams during a 12 week induction study. Dreaming. 27(1), pp. 68-86. 1053-0797.
- Owton, H., Clegg, H. and Allen-Collinson, J. (2016) 'I wanted to be Darcey Bussell': motivations and experiences of female dance teachers. Qualitative Methods in Psychology Bulletin. 22, pp. 55-64. 2044-0820.
- Saunders, D., Roe, C. A., Smith, G. D. and Clegg, H. (2016) Lucid dreaming incidence: a quality effects meta-analysis of 50 years of research. Consciousness and Cognition. 43, pp. 197-215. 1053-8100.
- Lazard , L., Boratav, H. B. and Clegg, H. (2016) Special focus: revisiting "the woman question". Feminism & Psychology. 26(3), pp. 245-253. 0959-3535.
- Clegg, H., Owton, H. and Allen-Collinson, J. (2016) The cool stuff!: gender, dance and masculinity. Psychology of Women's Review. 18(2), pp. 6-16. 1466-3724.
- Grivell, T., Clegg, H. and Roxburgh, E. C. (2014) An interpretative phenomenological analysis of identity in the therian community. Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research. 14(2), pp. 113-135. 1528-3488.
- Clegg, H. and Roxburgh, E. C. (2014) Phantom limbs in the therian community. Paper presented to: Consciousness & Experiential Psychology Section of the British Psychological Society 2014 Annual Conference, University of Cambridge, 04-06 September 2014. (Unpublished)
- Grivell, T., Clegg, H. and Roxburgh, E. C. (2012) An interpretative phenomenological analysis of identity in the therian community. Paper presented to: First Conference on Applied Qualitative Research in Psychology, University of Derby, 21 June 2012. (Unpublished)
- Clegg, H., Nettle, D. and Miell, D. (2011) Status and mating success amongst visual artists. Frontiers in Psychology. 2, pp. 1-4. 1664-1078.
- Johns, S. E., Dickins, T. E. and Clegg, H. (2011) Teenage pregnancy and motherhood: how might evolutionary theory inform policy. Journal of Evolutionary Psychology. 9(1), pp. 3-19. 1789-2082.
- Clegg, H., Nettle, D. and Miell, D. (2008) A test of Miller's aesthetic fitness hypothesis. Journal of Evolutionary Psychology. 6(2), pp. 101-115.
- Nettle, D. and Clegg, H. (2008) Personality, mating strategies, and mating intelligence. In: Geher, G. and Miller, G. (eds.) Mating Intelligence: Sex, Relationships, and the Mind's Reproductive System. New York; London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. pp. 121-134.