Gary Hill is currently Head of Department: Computing & Immersive Technologies at the University of Northampton, School of Science & Technology (UK).
- MPhil, Computer Assisted Learning – Structural Analysis & Design, Loughborough University, 1998
- MSc, Computer Science, Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, 2001
- PGCE, University of Greenwich (Garnett College) London, 1986
- BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering (Numerical Analysis) Swansea University, 1985
- Head of Department: Computing & Immersive Technologies, University of Northampton, 2011-present
- Head of Computing & Immersive Technologies, University of Northampton, 2002- 2011
- Acting Associate Dean (Operations) University of Northampton, 2008.
- Principal Lecturer, University of Northampton, 1992-2002
- Senior Lecturer, University of Northampton, 1989-1992
- Lecturer II, University of Northampton, 1987-1989
- Lecturer II, Computing & Civil Engineering, Thames Valley University, 1986-1987
- MSc Enterprise Application Development, BSc/BEng Software Engineering, Sheffield Hallam University at SLIIT, Sri Lanka (2014-2018)
- BSc Computer Science, University of Derby including: Mediterranean College (Athens & Thessaloniki, Greece) (2014-2018)
- MSc Computer Science at University of Hertfordshire IST Athens (2011-2015)
- BSc Multimedia Technologies, Islington College, Kathmandu, Nepal (2011-2012)
- BSc, FDSc Digital Solutions, Interactive Multimedia, Multimedia, Multimedia Technology & Applications at London Metropolitan University (2008-2012)
- MSc Computing, Internet Technology and e-Commerce, Internet Technology, Distributed Computing Systems, Computer Systems and Networking, Data Warehousing and Data Mining, Enterprise Software Engineering, Mobile Computing and Communications courses at University of Greenwich (2006-2011)
- BSc Computing, Software Engineering, Computer Games Development, Multimedia Games Development at University of Central Lancashire (2004-2009)
- BSc Computing courses at Shenzhen University, Guangdong, China (2005-2009)
- BSc Computing courses at UDA (Spengergasse, Vienna & Leonding, Linz) Austria (2005-2009)
- BSc Computing, Computer Network Technology, Systems Management, Information Systems Design at DEI (Thessaloniki) Greece (2007-2009)
- Foundation Year at South Bank University (1998-2002)
- HND/C at Buckinghamshire New University (1998-2002)
- HNC at East Berkshire College (2001-2002)
- External Review Panel Member for Undergraduate/Postgraduate Computing, Faculty of Computing, Engineering & Sciences, University of Staffordshire (04/2013)
- External Review Panel Member for the Field of UG Computing, School of Computer Science & Technology, University of Bedfordshire (09/2012)
- Department for Education, Level 3 (A Level/Vocational) Qualification Reform – Roundtable Discussion – Specialist Vocational Focus Group, Sanctuary Buildings, London, (06/2012)
- External Review Panel Member for the Field of Undergraduate (UG) Computing, School of Computer Science & Technology, University of Bedfordshire (09/2009)
- External Validation Advisor for Franchise of BSc (Hons) Computing, BSc (Hons) Computing (Multimedia), BSc (Hons) Computing Network Technology to DEI Bachelor and Masters Degrees, Thessaloniki, Greece (05/2007)
- External Validation Advisor for the BSc Computing by Distance Learning at the University of East London (05/2006)
- External Validation Advisor for Franchise of BSc Computing courses at UDA (Spengergasse, Vienna & Leonding, Linz) Austria (06/2005)
- Academic Quality and Standards Committee (AQSC) 2013-2014
- Academic Audit and Review Committee (AARC) 2013- 2014
- Senior Admissions Tutor (2008-present)
- Mitigating Circumstances Panel (Chair/Member)
- Examination Boards (Chair/Member)
- Examination Boards (Chair/Member)
- E-Strategy Steering Group (2006-2011)
- Course Validation Panels (Chair/Member)
- Lifelong Learning Committee (2006-2008)
- External Examiners’ Committee (School Representative 2003-2009)
- Committee for Taught Programmes (School Representative 2004-2006)
- School Executive Team (SET)
- International School Executive Team
- School Management Group (SMG)
- School Health & Safety
- Quality Standards & Enhancement Committee (QSEC)
- School Student Experience Committee (SSEC)
Professional Membership and Advisory Bodies
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- Fellow of the British Computer Society (FBCS)
- Chartered IT Professional (CITP)
- Northampton Branch Committee Member of the British Computer Society (BCS) – Education Liaison Officer (2009-present).
- Council of Professors and Heads of Computing (CPHC)
- BSc Computing – Problem Solving & Programming
- MSc Computing (Internet Technology) Java Programming
- Field Chair for Computer Systems (BSc Computing awards in Computing, Computer Networks Engineering, Computer Systems Engineering, Graphics & Visualisation, Internet
- Technology & Security, Mobile Computing, Software Engineering) (2003-2011)
- Admissions Tutor for BSc, HND/C Computing (2000-2011)
- First Year Leader, BSc Computing (2001-2011)
- Course Leader, HND Computer Systems Engineering (2000-2005)
- Course Leader, HNC Computer Systems Engineering (2000-2005)
- Budget Holder, Computing Section (2001-present)
- Mobile Device Application Development
- Enterprise Application Development
- 2D/3D Graphics
- Graphics & Visualisation
- 3D Computer Modelling
- Problem Solving & Programming
- Mobile Device Programming
- Project Based Learning
- Problem based Learning
- Opoku Agyeman, M., Vien, Q.-T., Hill, G., Turner, S. J. and Mak, T. (2017) An efficient channel model for evaluating Wireless NoC architectures. In: 2016 International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing Workshops (SBAC-PADW). Online: IEEE. 978-1-5090-4844-1. pp. 85-90.
- Hill, G., Turner, S. J. and Childs, K. (2017) The answers not on the screen. Paper presented to: 13th China Europe Symposium on Software Engineering Education (CEISEE), Athens, Greece, 24-25 May 2017.
- Hill, G. (2016) Review of a problems-first approach to first year undergraduate programming. In: Wu, B. and Kassel, S. (eds.) Software Engineering Education Going Agile: 11th China-Europe International Symposium on Software Engineering Education (CEISEE 2015). Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. 9783319291659. pp. 73-80.
- Hill, G. and Turner, S. J. (2014) Electronic online marking of software asssignments. In: Motta, G. and Wu, B. (eds.) Software Engineering Education for a Global E-Service Economy. Berlin: Springer. pp. 41-48.
- Hill, G. and Turner, S. J. (2014) Problems first, second and third. International Journal of Quality Assurance in Engineering and Technology Education (IJQAETE). 3(3), pp. 88-109. 2155-496X.
- Hill, G. and Turner, S. J. (2013) Electronic Online Marking Of Software Assignments (EOMOSA). Paper presented to: 9th China-Europe International Symposium on Software Engineering Education, Milan, 13-14 May 2013. (Unpublished)
- Kariyawasam, K. A., Turner, S. J. and Hill, G. (2012) Is it visual? The importance of a problem solving module within a computing course. Computer Education. 10(166), pp. 9-11. 1672-5913.
- Hill, G. and Turner, S. J. (2012) Referencing within code in software engineering education! Computer Education. 10(166), pp. 5-8. 1672-5913.
- Hill, G., Svennevik, E. and Turner, S. J. (2011) Green computer science courses. No more labs full of computers, we’re going mobile! Paper presented to: 7th China-Europe International Symposium on Software Industry Oriented Education (CEISIE 2011): Green Computing in Higher Education, University of Northampton, 23-24 May 2011. (Unpublished)
- Hill, G. and Turner, S. J. (2011) Problems first. In: Hussey, M., Wu, B. and Xiaofei, X. (eds.) Software Industry-Oriented Education Practices and Curriculum Development: Experiences and Lessons. Hershey, Pa.: IGI Global. pp. 110-126.
- Zhao, F., Turner, S. J., Dravid, R., Hill, G. and Zhang, Y. (2010) A virtual environment training system for haptic laparoscopic surgery. Paper presented to: 16th International Conference on Automation and Computing, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, 11 September 2010. (Unpublished)
- Turner, S. J. and Hill, G. (2010) Innovative use of robots and graphical programming in software education. Paper presented to: 6th China-Europe International Symposium on Software Industry Oriented Education (CEISIE2010), Xi’an, China, 24-25 May 2010. (Unpublished)
- Turner, S. J. and Hill, G. (2010) Innovative use of robots and graphical programming in software education. Computer Education. 9, pp. 54-56. 1672-5913.
- Turner, S. J., Hill, G. and Adams, J. P. (2009) Robots in problem solving in programming. Paper presented to: Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Information and Computer Sciences 9th 1-day Teaching of Programming Workshop, Bath, 6 April 2009. (Unpublished)
- Minai, A., Turner, S. J. and Hill, G. (2008) Motivational differences in learning internet programming between arts and computing students. In: White, H. (ed.) 9th Annual Conference of the Subject Centre for Information and Computer Sciences. Newtownabbey: Higher Education Acadamy, Subject Centre for Information and Computer Sciences. 9780955967603. p. 207.
- Turner, S. J. and Hill, G. (2008) Robotics within the teaching of problem-solving. ITALICS. 7(1), pp. 108-119. 1473-7507.
- Turner, S. J. and Hill, G. (2007) Robots in problem-solving and programming. In: Proceedings of 8th Annual Conference of the Subject Centre for Information and Computer Sciences. Ulster: Higher Education Academy Information and Computer Sciences Centre. 9780955200571. pp. 82-85.
- Turner, S. J. and Hill, G. (2006) The inclusion of robots within the teaching of problem solving – preliminary results. In: Steede, H. (ed.) 7th Annual Conference of the Subject Centre for Information and Computer Sciences. Dublin: Higher Education Academy Subject Network for Information and Computer Sciences. 0955200539. pp. 241-242.
- Sealey, B. J., Hill, G. and Phillips, P. S. (2001) Review of strategy for recycling and reuse of waste materials. In: Dhir, R. K., Limbachiya, M. C. and McCarthy, M. J. (eds.) Recycling and Reuse of Sewage Sludge: Proceedings of the International Symposium Organised by the Concrete Technology Unit and Held at the University of Dundee, Scotland UK on 19-20 March 2001. London: Thomas Telford. 0727729926. pp. 325-335.
- Sealey, B. J., Phillips, P. S. and Hill, G. (2001) Waste management in the ready-mixed concrete industry: key issues for future consideration. In: Concrete Communication Conference 2001: Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual BCA/Concrete Society Conference on Higher Education and the Concrete Industry. Crowthorne: British Cement Association. 9780721015811. pp. 307-316.
- Sealey, B. J., Phillips, P. S. and Hill, G. (2001) Waste management issues for the UK ready-mixed concrete industry. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 32(3-4), pp. 321-331. 0921-3449.