Dr. Elisavet Kalpaxi is a lecturer in the BA (Hons) Photography, teaching in theory and practice-based modules across all levels of study.
- Module Co-ordinator, ‘Reading the Image’ (Level 4)
- Tutor, ‘Photography and Arts Practices’ (Level 5)
- Tutor, ‘Photography and Visual Culture’ (Level 5)
- Tutor and Supervisor, ‘Practice Exhibition’ (Level 6)
- Supervisor, ‘Career Development in Photographic Practices’ (Level 6)
Elisavet's discursive interests lie with practice-based research in art, narrative, and photography’s contemporary criticism; also, with current discursive shifts in art history, theory and practice and changing narratives influenced by technological and socio-political/economic developments. Her practical work is concerned with photography, installations and digital media. In 2012 she completed her practice-based PhD on ‘Narcissism and Narrativity in Photographic Self-portraiture’ at Goldsmiths College (Department of Art). Her work, theoretical and practical, has been presented in a number of international publications, conferences and exhibitions.
- Kalpaxi, E. (2016) Self-portraiture: on photography’s reflexive surface. Journal of Artistic Research (JAR). 10 2235-0225.
- Kalpaxi, E. (2014) From the borders to centre stage: photographic self-portraiture. Philosophy of Photography. 5(1), pp. 65-76. 2040-3682.
- Kalpaxi, E. (2014) Photography’s role in western art’s globalising visions. Paper presented to: Collecting Geographies: Global Programming and Museums of Modern Art, Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, 13-15 March 2014.
- Short, M., Leet, K. and Kalpaxi, E. (2018) Context and Narrative. 2nd Edition. London: Bloomsbury Visual Arts.
- Kalpaxi, E. (2017) Sculptor and Cetus. Sculptorvox: Geometry of Nothing. Vol. 1, Sept/Oct 2017.
- Kalpaxi, E. (2012) Narcissism and Narrativity in Photographic Self-portraiture, PhD Thesis, Goldsmiths College, University of London.
- Kalpaxi, E. (2012) ‘The body and its Historical Malleability in Photographic Self-portraiture’, Rosamunde: Covering and Exposing, Issue 1, 2012, pp. 30-33.
- Kalpaxi, E. (2003) ‘10 Παράδοξα Επεισόδια’, Φωτογράφος, Τεύχος #117, σ. 12-15.