Duncan McCollin completed his PhD in 1988 and spent two years teaching in the Department of Biological Sciences at Njala University College, University of Sierra Leone (VSO). Duncan was appointed as a Lecturer in Ecology in 1992 and since has progressed to Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor.
Duncan works alongside Jeff Ollerton and Janet Jackson teaching ecology at undergraduate level and is course leader for BSc Environmental Science. Duncan teaches on the following modules and is module leader for those asterisked:
- ENV1002 Introduction to Ecology*
- ENV1012 Biodiversity: an Introduction
- ENV1016 Environmental Science Practical*
- ENV2018 Habitat Ecology & Management
- ENV2036 Research Methods
- ENV2124 Fieldcourse module*
- ENV2103 Biogeography*
- ENV3014 Landscape & Restoration Ecology*
- ENV3021 Biodiversity & Conservation
- ENV3131 Career Planning and Placement*
- ENV4101 Research Project & Dissertation
Duncan has interests in landscape ecology, long-term ecological change, and island biogeography, and actively collaborates with colleagues both nationally and internationally.
Duncan has co-supervised eight PhD students successfully to completion and is currently co-supervising Kat Harrold and Emily Howard-Williams.
- Sitzia, T., Dainese, M., Krusi, B. and McCollin, D. (2017) Landscape metrics as functional traits in plants: perspectives from a glacier foreland. PeerJ. 2167-8359.
- McCollin, D. (2017) Turnover dynamics of breeding land birds on islands: is island biogeographic theory ‘true but trivial’ over decadal time-scales? Diversity. 9(1), p. 3. 1424-2818.
- Rahman, M. L., Tarrant, S., Ollerton, J. and McCollin, D. (2016) Effect of soil conditions and landscape factors on macro-snail communities in newly created grasslands of restored landfill sites in the UK. Zoology and Ecology. 26(4), pp. 275-281. 2165-8005.
- Howard-Williams, E., Littlemore, J., McCormick, W. D. and McCollin, D. (2016) The effect of eroded ecological networks on the movement of harvest mice (Micromys minutus). Seminar Presentation presented to: 5th Postgraduate Research Symposium, Moulton College, Northampton, 15 December 2016.
- Coulthard, E., McCollin, D. and Littlemore, J. (2016) The use of hedgerows as flight paths by moths in intensive farmland landscapes. Journal of Insect Conservation. 20(2), pp. 345-350. 1366-638X.
- Sanchez, I. A. and McCollin, D. (2015) A comparison of microclimate and environmental modification produced by hedgerows and dehesa in the Mediterranean region: a study in the Guadarrama region, Spain. Landscape and Urban Planning. 143, pp. 230-237. 0169-2046.
- McCollin, D. and Geraghty, E. (2015) Change and causes of change in the vascular plant flora of Ireland: 1970–1999. Biology and Environment: Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. 115B(1 2015), pp. 1-15. 0791-7945.
- Howard-Williams, E., Littlemore, J., McCormick, W. D. and McCollin, D. (2015) Detection dogs for conservation monitoring. Seminar Presentation presented to: 4th Postgraduate Research Symposium, Moulton College, Northampton, 11 December 2015.
- McCollin, D., Hodgson, J. and Crockett, R. G. M. (2015) Do British birds conform to Bergmann’s and Allen’s rules? An analysis of body size variation with latitude for four species. Bird Study. 62(3), pp. 404-410. 0006-3657.
- McCollin, D., Preece, R. and Sparks, T. H. (2015) Pushing back the baseline: a novel approach to detect long-term changes in terrestrial faunal abundance using historical qualitative descriptions. European Journal of Ecology. 1(1), pp. 32-42. 1339-8474.
- McCollin, D. (2015) The curious case of Skokholm: equilibrium, non-equilibrium and a phase shift in an island landbird assemblage. Ecography. 38(10), pp. 986-991. 0906-7590.
- Rahman, M. L., Tarrant, S., McCollin, D. and Ollerton, J. (2015) Vegetation cover and grasslands in the vicinity accelerate development of carabid beetle assemblages on restored landfill sites. Zoology and Ecology. 25(4), pp. 347-354. 2165-8005.
- McCollin, D. (2014) Abundance estimates for landbirds and seabirds extracted and compiled from annual reports of the Skokholm bird observatory. Pangaea.
- Sitzia, T., Dainese, M. and McCollin, D. (2014) Environmental factors interact with spatial processes to determine herbaceous species richness in woody field margins. Plant Ecology. 215(11), pp. 1323-1335. 1385-0237.
- McCollin, D. (2014) Reconstructing long-term ecological data from annual census returns: a test for observer bias in counts of bird populations on Skokholm 1928–2002. Ecological Indicators. 46, pp. 336-339. 1470-160X.
- Tarrant, S., Ollerton, J., Rahman, M. L., Tarrant, J. and McCollin, D. (2013) Grassland restoration on landfill sites in the East Midlands, United Kingdom: an evaluation of floral resources and pollinating insects. Restoration Ecology. 21(5), pp. 560-568. 1061-2971.
- Rahman, M. L., Tarrant, S., McCollin, D. and Ollerton, J. (2013) Plant community composition and attributes reveal conservation implications for newly created grassland on capped landfill sites. Journal for Nature Conservation. 21(4), pp. 198-205. 1617-1381.
- Rahman, M. L., Tarrant, S., McCollin, D. and Ollerton, J. (2012) Influence of habitat quality, landscape structure and food resources on breeding skylark (Alauda arvensis) territory distribution on restored landfill sites. Landscape and Urban Planning. 105(3), pp. 281-287. 0169-2046.
- Cranmer, L., McCollin, D. and Ollerton, J. (2012) Landscape structure influences pollinator movements and directly affects plant reproductive success. Oikos. 121(4), pp. 562-568. 0030-1299.
- Rahman, M. L., Tarrant, S., McCollin, D. and Ollerton, J. (2011) The conservation value of restored landfill sites in the East Midlands, UK for supporting bird communities. Biodiversity and Conservation. 20(9), pp. 1879-1893. 0960-3115.
- Sanchez, I. A., Lassaletta, L., McCollin, D. and Bunce, R. G. H. (2010) The effect of hedgerow loss on microclimate in the Mediterranean region: an investigation in Central Spain. Agroforestry Systems (in cooperation with ICRAF). 78(1), pp. 13-25. 0167-4366.
- McCollin, D. (2009) An Introduction to The Earth-Life System – edited by Charles Cockell. The Geographical Journal. 175(3), p. 242. 0016-7398.
- Ollerton, J., McCollin, D., Fautin, D. and Allen, G. (2007) Finding NEMO: nestedness engendered by mutualistic organisation in anemonefish and their hosts. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B. 274(1609), pp. 591-598. 0962-8452.