Athanasia joined the University of Northampton in January 2016 and is currently the Deputy Subject Leader in Applied Social Studies and Sociology, she is also a Research Associate at the Hellenic Observatory, LSE . Before joining the University of Northampton, Athanasia worked as a Senior Lecturer in Sociology at the University of Worcester (2012-2015), a Post Doctoral Research Fellow – Hellenic Observatory, at the LSE (2011-2012), a Lecturer in Sociology at the University of Manchester (2008-2011) and as a Teaching Fellow in Sociology at the University of Cambridge (2004-2008). Athanasia also spent a year in Toronto, Canada as a Visiting Professor in Sociology, at Toronto University and York University (2013-2014) she also spent one academic term in Harvard University, USA as a Visiting Fellow (2006).
Athanasia is the author of three monographs, a number of peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters (in English and Greek). She has been interviewed about her work from BBC News, BBC World, BBC Radio, SkaiTV Greece, CTV Canada, and has also written articles for The Economist and CNN.
Athanasia is the Module Leader on the following modules:
- SOC1074 (40 Credit): Sociological Imagination
- SOC3059 (20 Credit): The Sociology of the Self
Athanasia also teaches on the following undergraduate modules:
- Your Sociological Agenda
- Sociology Dissertation (Supervisor)
Athanasia is also a PhD Supervisor.
Athanasia’s current Research (papers under review) relates to the following areas:
- Youth Identity Formation
- Academic Identity Formation
- Inter-action in relation to Intra-action
- Chalari, A. and Sealey, C. (2017) Greek crisis and British austerity. Science and Society. 36 1108-3697.
- Chalari, A. (2017) The sociology of the individual. London: Sage. 9781446272022.
- Chalari, A. and Sealey, C. (2017) UK students’ subjective experiences and responses to higher education austerity: implications and lessons for the future. Observatoire de la société britannique. 19, pp. 229-245. 1957-3383.
- Chalari, A., Sealey, C. and Webb, M. (2016) A comparison of subjective experiences and responses to austerity of UK and Greek youth. GreeSE: Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe. 102, pp. 2-47.
- Chalari, A. (2017) The Sociology of the Individual London: Sage (ISBN: 978-1-4462-7202-2)
- Chalari A., Fokas, E., Bozhilova, D., Vraniali, E., and Prasopoulou, E. (2013) Social Issues in Focus: New Generation Research on a
- Changing Greece. Athens, Greece: Economia Publishing (ISBN 978-960-9490-24-5)
- Chalari, A. (2012) Why Greeks Interrupt each other? the phenomenon of ‘Overlaps’ in everyday Greek conversations Saarbucken, Germany: LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing (ISBN:978-3-8484-4584-4)
- Chalari, A. (2009) Approaches to the Individual: The Relationship between Internal and External Conversation London: Palgrave McMillan (ISBN 978-0-230-23133-7)
- Chalari, A. and Sealey, C. (2017) Greek Crisis and British Austerity. Journal of Science and Society (in Greek) ISSN: 1108-3697– Forthcoming
- Chalari, A. and Sealey, C. (2017) UK students’ subjective experiences and responses to higher education austerity: Implications and lessons for the future Political Quarterly and the Observatoire de la
société britannique (OSB) – Forthcoming ISSN: 1775-4135
- Chalari, A.; Sealey, C. and Webb, M. (2016) ‘A Comparison of Subjective Experiences and Responses to Austerity of UK and Greek Youth’. GreeSE: Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe. Paper No 102:1-33
- Chalari, A. (2015) ‘Re-organising Everyday Greek Social Reality: Subjective Experiences of the Greek Crisis’ In Karyotis G and Gerodimos R. (Eds) The Politics of Extreme Austerity: Greece in the European Crisis London: Palgrave McMillan. ISBN: 9781137369222.
- Chalari, A. (2014) ‘The Subjective Experiences of Three Generations during the Greek Economic Crisis’ World Journal of Social Science Research. 1(1): 89-109. ISSN 2332-5534
- Chalari, A. (2013) ‘Structure and Agency in the work of Georg Simmel’ In Moesiadis; Papadopoulou, D. and Petrakis G. (Eds) Sociology and Social Transformations in Modern Greece, Athens, Greece: Gudenbeg Publications ISBN: 9789600115697 Η Οριοθέτηση του Διαχωρισμού μεταξύ Άτομου και Κοινωνίας μέσα από το έργο του Georg Simmel, In Moesiadis; Papadopoulou, D. and Petrakis G. (Eds) Κοινωνιολογία και Κοινωνικός Μετασχηματισμός στην Σύγχρονη Ελλάδα.
- Chalari, A. (2012) The Causal Impact of Resistance: Mediating Between Resistance and Internal Conversation about Resistance Journal for the Theory of Social Behaviour. 43 (1): 66-86. ISSN 0021-8308
- Chalari, A. (2012) The Greek Crisis: Social and Personal Changes Risk and Regulation 24 (Winter 2012): 8-10 ISSN 1473-6004
- Chalari, A. (2012), The Causal Powers of Social Change: the case of modern Greek society. GreeSE: Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe, 64 (November): 1-41. Hellenic Observatory, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, UK http://www2.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute/research/hellenicObservatory/CMS%20pdf/Publications/GreeSE/GreeSE-No64.pdf
- Chalari, A. (2012) Greek Crisis and Greek Society: the contribution of Greek citizens European Expression Journal 84: 9-12 (in Greek) Ελληνική κρίση και Ελληνική Κοινωνία Η Συμμετοχή των Ελλήνων Πολιτών Ευρωπαική ‘Εκφραση (ISBN 077-110581300-0)
- Chalari, A. & Khoury, A. (2010) Politics Based on ‘Reflexivity’, ‘Shallow Politics’ and the EU GM Food and Feed Regulatory Regime The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Science 4(11): 199-21 ISSN 1833-1882
- Chalari, A. (2007) The combination of Greek and English: How Greeks benefit from this ‘dialect’ The 3rd LSE PhD Symposium on Modern Greece: “Current Social Science Research on Greece”, Hellenic Observatory – London School of Economics, (June 14, 2007) Available online: http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/hellenicObservatory/Events/phd_Symposia/3rdSymposium/phd07_Papers.htm
- Chalari, A. (2005) Why Greeks talk at the same time all together?’ The 2nd LSE PhD Symposium on Modern Greece: “Current Social Science Research on Greece”, Hellenic Observatory – London School of Economics, (June 10, 2005) Available online: http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/hellenicObservatory/Events/phd_Symposia/2ndSymposium/phd05_Papers.htm