We are delighted that you will be studying a programme with us during this academic year. Undergraduate international students will be arriving from 5 January and postgraduate students will be arriving from 11 January so we look forward to meeting you soon. Please download our International Getting Started and International Handbook 2016/17 brochures for more information.
If you are arriving into London Heathrow airport, we can provide a free meet and greet collection service on request. You will be met at the airport by one of our Welcome Team, who will direct you to the transport which will bring you directly to Park campus.
International Orientation Programme
Student Services hosts an International Orientation Programme which offers you the opportunity to:
- become familiar with your campus and the town of Northampton
- meet new and existing students
- get used to life in the UK before beginning your studies
- go to social and cultural events
Studying at university in the UK may be very different from how you studied in your home country. Your course at the University of Northampton will challenge and develop your skills in:
- independent learning
- application of learning
- critical thinking
- use of group work
- different forms of assessment
We offer a short online study skills preparation course, which will help you to understand what is expected of you at an English university. To access the course, log in to NILE and add ‘Study Skills Preparation Course’.
English language requirements
International students should provide a recent recognised English language qualification, which must indicate your level of competence in listening, reading, speaking and writing. All students applying for courses at the University of Northampton must meet the minimum English language requirements mentioned below:
- for study at undergraduate level – minimum standard – IELTS 6.0 (or equivalent)
- for study at postgraduate level – minimum standard – IELTS 6.5 (or equivalent)
If you do not meet these requirements, we offer English language courses in:
- Pre-sessional Academic English – (The minimum language requirement to join this programme is IELTS 4.0 or equivalent)
- International Foundation Programme – (The minimum language requirement to join this programme is IELTS 5.0)
For more information about English language courses, please contact the International Office.