Staff Directory: Dr Nigel Freestone
- Role: Head of Department
- Area: Science and Technology - Environmental Science
- Office location: Nw131, Avenue campus
- Telephone number: 01604 89 3358
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
A chemist by training, Nigel has been at the University of Northampton for 20 years and has a wealth of teaching experience.
1986 PhD (Nuclear Chemistry), University of Leicester.
Title: Purification of uranium hexafluoride by non-aqueous means
1983 MPhil (Electrochemistry), University of Southampton.
Title: Anodic oxidation of lead in sulfuric acid
1981 B.Sc.(Hons) Chemistry, University of Bradford.
In collaboration with the Charted Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) he pioneered the development of first degree level courses in wastes management in the United Kingdom. Northampton is now widely regarded as a Centre of Excellence in Wastes Management education, training, consultancy and research, and currently offers the largest portfolio of courses in the world in this new discipline. In addition Nigel has published several hundred current awareness and historical features in chemistry-based magazines and journals.
Other ActivitiesDeveloped the curriculum for the national standard and advanced training courses in recycling for WRAP
Head of Division
CAF Field Chair Environmental Science
School of Science and Technology Quality Standards Enhancement Committee
Academic Quality & Standards Committee
Member of Academic Audit Review Committee
APL Officer for the University
Director of SITA Centre
Leicester City FC
Course Leader for:
- MSc Wastes Management
- FdSc Wastes Management
- BSc Environmental Science
ENV1001 Air & Water - Principles
ENV1004 Environmental Issues
ENV1008 Landfill Science
ENV1010 Wastes as an Environmental Issue
ENV1016 Fundamentals of Environmental Science
ENV2025 Wastes Management
ENV2032 Waste Collection, Sorting and Transfer
ENV2035 Work Based Learning in the Wastes Industry
ENV3012 Hazardous Wastes Management
ENV3018 Wastes Minimisation & Recycling
Applying Environmental Science to the Management of Wastes
Managing Facilities within the Wastes Industry
Managing the Handling and Disposal of Wastes
Investigating Analysing and Reporting on a Wastes Management Topic
ENV020 Advanced Thermal Wastes Management Technologies
History of Chemistry
Publications on NECTAR
- Freestone, N. P. (2008) Biocomputing. Chemistry and Industry. 2008(5), p. 26. 0009-3068.
- Freestone, N. P. (2008) Heavy metal ions absorbents. Chemistry and Industry. 2008(1), p. 25. 0009-3068.
- Freestone, N. P. (2008) Local drug administration. Chemistry and Industry. 2008(13), p. 29. 0009-3068.
- Bates, M. P., Freestone, N. P., Phillips, P. S., Tudor, T. L. and Forster, A. (2008) Methodology development for future decision making: opportunities for non-municipal waste facilities in Northamptonshire, England. Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management. 34(2), pp. 91-101. 1088-1697.
- Freestone, N. P. (2008) Sensor to detect peroxide based explosives. Chemistry and Industry. 2008(9), p. 26. 0009-3068.
- Freestone, N. P. (2007) Biodiesel from grease. Chemistry and Industry. 7(21), p. 26. 0009-3068.
- Freestone, N. P. (2007) Homogeneous catalysts. Chemistry and Industry. 7(9), p. 26. 0009-3068.
- Freestone, N. P. (2007) Molecular based devices. Chemistry and Industry. 7(17), p. 28. 0009-3068.
- Freestone, N. P. (2007) Molecular security. Chemistry and Industry. 7(5), p. 26. 0009-3068.
- Freestone, N. P. (2007) Silica nanoparticles. Chemistry and Industry. 7(1), p. 24. 0009-3068.
- Freestone, N. P. (2007) Superhydrophobic cloths. Chemistry and Industry. 7(13), p. 28. 0009-3068.
- Phillips, P. S., Dempsey, M., Freestone, N. P. and Read, A. D. (2004) A radical new proposal for delivering and financing waste minimisation clubs in England, due to the loss of landfill tax credit scheme funding. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 43(1), pp. 35-50. 0921-3449.
- Phillips, P. S., Holley, K., Bates, M. P. and Freestone, N. P. (2002) Corby Waste Not: an appraisal of the UK’s largest holistic waste minimisation project. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 36(1), pp. 1-31. 0921-3449.
- Freestone, N.P. & Holloway, J.H. (1991) Advances in Actinide and Lanthanide Halide Synthesis. Van Nostrand.
- Freestone, N.P. & Holloway, J.H. (1993) Thorium Halides Supplementary Volume. Gmelin Institute.
Current Awareness Articles
- Applied Highlights , a review of chemical breakthroughs with potential industrial implications, published in Chemistry & Industry six times per year since March 1989.
- Progress in Organic Intermediate Synthesis, a review of current trends in organic synthetic processes, published monthly in every issues of Performance Chemicals from August 1987 to February 1997.
- Distillates , a critical review of chemical discoveries and breakthroughs, published quarterly in Education in Chemistry from 1988 to 1992.
History of Chemistry Articles
- Chemical Calendar, published monthly in Chemistry in Britain from October 1988 to February 1991.
- On This Day, published twice monthly in Chemistry & Industry from March 1989 to June 1996.
- A History of Chemistry, published in all four issues of Education in Chemistry in 1990.
Selected Papers and Other Publications
- Freestone, N.P. (1988), Chemistry Save Medical Trees from Extinction. New Scientist 1643; 13
- Freestone, N.P., Phillips, P.S., Alder, R.W. (1992), Chemistry in Comics, Chemistry in Britain 28, 30-32.
- Freestone, N.P., Hall, R.J., Phillips, P.S., (1994 ) Having the Last Laugh, Chemistry in Britain 30, 48-53.
- Freestone, N.P., Hall, R.J., Phillips, P.S., (1994), Dealing with Leachate, Chemistry in Britain 30, 828-830.
- Freestone, N.P., Phillips, P.S., (1997) Chemistry of Landfill, Education in Chemistry, 34, 11-14.
- P. S. Phillips, K. Holley, M.P. Bates and N. Freestone (2003) , Corby Waste Not: A critical appraisal of the UK's largest holistic waste minimisation project; Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 36,1-33
- P.S. Phillips, N. Freestone, M.P. Bates, T. Coskeran and A. Woolridge (2005). The new technologies workstream for solid waste in England: Demonstration to evaluate the most cost effective methods to manage BMSW. 20 th International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management 3-7 April, 2005, Pp. 234-244. Philadelphia , USA . ISSN: 1091 - 8043
- External for a review of wastes management provision at UWIST (2000 & 2007), Lauder College (2006)
- External expert advisor for the accreditation of postgraduate courses by the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (2001, 2002 & 2003)
- Appointed external examiner for a range of masters degrees in wastes management at the University of Central Lancashire (September 2003).
- External Examiner for MPhil and PhD students at the Universities of Central Lancashire (2005, 2006), Glasgow Caledonian (2006), DeMontfort (2005, 2006).and Swansea (2008)
If you wish to update your personal details please contact a member of the HR team. If you wish to add any other details, such a teaching, publications or research, please contact email@example.com