Staff Directory: Dr Miggie Pickton
- Role: Research Support Librarian
- Area: LLS - Research Support
- Telephone number: 01604 89 2245
- Email address: email@example.com
My work role
I lead the Research Support Team in Library and Learning Services. The team’s main responsibilities are to:
- Provide a point of contact within Library and Learning Services for the university's research community. We are here to help research students and research active staff make the most of the resources and technologies that are available to them through the University
- Manage the University's open access institutional repository, NECTAR. We are always happy to speak to researchers about how they and the University can benefit from contributing to NECTAR
- Provide information skills training for researchers on topics such as resource use, electronic thesis production, research data management, web tools for researchers and measuring research performance In addition I coordinate, promote and lead research activity within the Department of Information Services.
My colleagues and I are encouraged to be active in our professional areas and to use the latest research to inform our practice. In recent years the Department has attracted significant external funding to support its services. Much of this activity is shared in the LLS Research and Enterprise Committee which I chair.
After 20 years as a computer programmer and systems analyst in the commercial sector, I retrained as a librarian in 2004. I have worked at The University of Northampton since qualifying.
I have a BA and a PhD in Geography and an MSc in Library and Information Management. Read more about Miggie's PhD
I have been actively involved in three recent JISC-funded projects:
NECTAR - the creation of an institutional repository for The University of Northampton
KeepIt - digital preservation in institutional repositories (joint project with the University of Southampton and the University of the Arts London)
Bringing a buzz to NECTAR - embedding and take-up of institutional repositories
I am currently working with the Digital Curation Centre on the implementation of the University’s Research Data Policy. I speak at professional events on the topics of institutional repositories, research data management and the role of librarians as researchers.
I have recently completed five years as Editor of the open access journal Library and Information Research and now remain on the journal's Editorial Board.
Publications on NECTAR
- Pickton, M. (2012) Bringing a buzz to NECTAR. ALISS Quarterly. 7(3), pp. 24-29. 1747-9258.
- Pickton, M. (2012) Member of Editorial Board. Library and Information Research. London: Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP). 1756-1086.
- Pickton, M. (2012) Bringing a buzz to NECTAR. Poster presented to: Research Active: Library and Learning Services Conference 2012, Sunley Management Centre, University of Northampton, 19 June 2012.
- Pickton, M., Jones, S. and Guy, M. (2012) Leading from the library: data management initiatives at the University of Northampton. Paper presented to: The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) World Library and Information Congress: 78th IFLA General Conference and Assembly (IFLA2012), Helsinki, Finland, 11-17 August 2012.
- Pickton, M. (2012) Librarians as researchers: why bother? Invited Presentation presented to: DARTS 3: The Third Discover Academic Research, Training & Support Conference, Dartington Hall, Totnes, 28-29 June 2012.
- Dimmock, N., Heppell, C., MacLellan, F. and Pickton, M. (2012) Research active. CILIP Update. October, pp. 32-34. 2046-0406.
- Pickton, M. and Jones, S. (2012) Research data management at the University of Northampton. Invited Presentation presented to: Information and Records Management Society HE/FE Information and Records Management and Information Compliance Group, Sheffield Hallam University, 20 June 2012.
- Pickton, M. (2012) Research data management at the University of Northampton. Poster presented to: JISC/Digital Curation Centre (DCC) Workshop: Building institutional RDM services, Nottingham, 24-25 October 2012.
- Pickton, M. (2012) Research data management: life beyond the laptop. Invited Presentation presented to: Research Active: Library and Learning Services Conference 2012, Sunley Management Centre, University of Northampton, 19 June 2012.
- Pickton, M. (2011) Editor. Library and Information Research. London: Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP). 1756-1086.
- Pickton, M. (2011) Being useful: services for researchers at the University of Northampton. Paper presented to: Chartered Institute of Library and Information Specialists (CILIP) Career Development Group National Conference: The Practical Professional, Future Inns, Bristol, 21 November 2011.
- Pickton, M. (2011) Institutional measures to encourage and facilitate effective data management and sharing. A matter of cash, careers or cultural change? Invited Presentation presented to: Research Data Management Forum (RDMF) 7: Incentivising Data Management & Sharing, University of Warwick, 02-03 November 2011.
- Pickton, M., Morris, D., Meece, S., Coles, S. and Hitchcock, S. (2011) Preserving repository content: practical tools for repository managers. Journal of Digital Information. 12(2) 1368-7506.
- Pickton, M. (2011) Reaching researchers through their data: a Data Asset Framework case study. Invited Presentation presented to: Repository Support Project (RSP) Winter School, Bassenthwaite, Lake District, 09-11 February 2011.
- Pickton, M., Hitchcock, S., Coles, S., Morris, D. and Meece, S. (2010) Preserving repository content: practical steps for repository managers. Paper presented to: 5th International Conference on Open Repositories, Madrid, Spain, 06-09 July 2010.
- Alexogiannopoulos, E., McKenney, S. and Pickton, M. (2010) Research Data Management Project: a DAF investigation of research data management practices at The University of Northampton. Northampton: University of Northampton. (Unpublished)
- Pickton, M. (2008) Adding value to the institutional repository - the NECTAR experience. Poster presented to: Repository Fringe 2008, Edinburgh, 31 July - 01 August 2008.
- Pickton, M. (2008) Gathering NECTAR at The University of Northampton. ALISS Quarterly. 3(4), pp. 33-38. 1747-9258.
- Pickton, M. and McKnight, C. (2007) Is there a role for research students in an institutional repository? Some repository managers' views. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science. 39(3), pp. 153-161. 0961-0006.
If you wish to update your personal details please contact a member of the HR team. If you wish to add any other details, such a teaching, publications or research, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org