Staff Directory: Mr Andrew Smith
- Role: Senior Lecturer in Education (SEN & Inclusion)
- Area: Education - SEN & Inclusion
- Office location: Sulgrave S032, Park campus
- Telephone number: 01604 89 2082
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- BAHons (Open)
- MEd (Sheffield)
- CertEd (Oxon)
- Phd Northampton: Current
Previous employment (1977 to 2003)
- Teacher, department head (English/Drama ) and senior teacher/assistant headteacher (SENCO/Inclusion) in middle and upper schools in Leicestershire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
- Former member of the Bedfordshire LEA English Advisory Team (Oracy Research & Development)
- Head of faculty (General Education, Learning Support and Sport) at a Northamptonshire college of further education (1995 - 2001)
- Involvement in inspection and school improvement.
- BA (QTS) Professional Studies & School Experience moderating tutor
- Foundation Degree in Learning & Teaching (module tutor)
- BA Learning & Teaching (dissertation supervisor)
- MA Education (dissertation supervisor)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education: TDA Endorsed SEN Coordinator's Award (cohort leader)
- Certificate in Higher Education Supporting Learners (franchise leader: Tamworth, Staffordshire)
- The Professional role and welfare of Special Educational Needs coordinators in mainstream schools
- The development of an international inclusion 'roadmap' (UK, Finland, Estonia and Czech Republic)
- 'Independent Tool for Learning': PE and pupils with additional learning needs at KS3
- Extended Services in schools and educational settings
Publications on NECTAR
- Smith, A., Groom, B. and Griffiths, S. (2012) Supporting Pupils with Dyslexia: Whole-School Training Materials and Resources for SENCOs. London: Optimus Education. 9781905538980.
- Griffiths, S. and Smith, A. (2011) Extended services in schools: developing resources to prepare student teachers for a rapidly changing working environment. Support for Learning. 26(1), pp. 13-16. 1467-9604.
- Smith, A. (2009) Darren: a case study in school-college liaison. Support for Learning. 24(4), pp. 185-190. 0268-2141.
- Smith, A., Griffiths, S. and Rose, R. (2009) Extended Schools: an investigation into the development and enhancement of initial teacher education capacity.
- Griffiths, S. and Smith, A. (2009) School placement experiences of initial teacher-trainee students with dyslexia. Seminar Presentation presented to: European Conference on Educational Research (ECER): Theory and Evidence in European Educational Research, Unversity of Vienna, Austria, 28-30 September 2009. Also presented at: Irish Association of Teachers in Special Education (IATSE) 21st Annual Conference: Partnership for Learning, 11-13 June 2009
- Rose, R., Smith, A. and Feng, Y. (2009) Supporting pupils and families: A case study of two English extended secondary schools. Management in Education. 23(2), pp. 57-62. 0892-0206.
- Jones, J. and Smith, A. (2008) Facilitating group work: leading or empowering? Paper presented to: Fourth Biennial European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI) /Northumbria Assessment Conference, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, 27 - 29 August 2008.
- Smith, A. and Jones, J. (2008) Student reflections on a collaborative project. Paper presented to: European Conference on Education Research (ECER 2008), Gothenburg, Sweden, 10 - 12 September 2008.
- Smith, A. (2008) Why SEN role isn't new. Education Guardian.
- Smith, A. (2007) Developing teachers as researchers – working in partnership with teachers developing research projects. Paper presented to: Challenges and Opportunities within Practitioner Research, Sligo, Ireland, 11-12 May 2007.
- Kraftl, P., Horton, J., Armstrong, S. C., Matthews, M. H., Pilkington, A., Mansukhani, N., Bell, S., Derrington, C., Doveston, M., Howley, M., Jones, K., Rose, R., Smith, A., Waine, L. and Wolstenholme, C. (2007) Free Maps for 11 Year Olds: national survey of Special Educational Needs (SEN) schools. Report presented to Ordnance Survey, June 2007 (Unpublished)
- Smith, A. (2007) The role & responsibilities of a Special Educational Needs Coordinator in an English school. Paper presented to: Finnish National SENCo Conference, Jyvaskyla, Finland, 19-21 March 2007.
- Rose, R., Smith, A. and Feng, Y. (2006) An investigation into the efficacy of two English extended secondary schools. Paper presented to: British Educational Research Association (BERA) National Conference, University of Warwick, Warwick, UK, 6-9 September 2006.
- Smith, A. (2004) The Teacher as 'Storyteller' - A practical guide for aspiring teacher storytellers in the National Curriculum. Education Today. Vol.54, No 2, June 2004
- Rose, R, Smith, A., Feng Yan, M. (2006) An investigation into the efficacy of two English extended secondary schools. Education-line. www.leeds.ac.uk/educol
- Smith, A. (2006) Why Some Students Refuse Learning Support - an investigation into transition at a further education college. The Journal of Adult & Continuing Education .Vol.12 No 2.
- Smith, A. (2006) Developing effective partnerships with external services - working within a multi-professional network (chapter). The SENCO Handbook. Ed. Soan, S. Optimus Publishing. London
- Smith, A. (2010) Developing effective partnerships with external services - working within a multi-professional network (revised chapter). The SENCO Handbook. (2nd Edition) Ed. Soan, S. Optimus Publishing. London
- Smith, A. (2008) Why SEN role isn't new. Education Guardian. 22.04.2008
- Rose, R., Smith, A., Yan, F. (2009) Supporting pupils and families - A case study of two English extended secondary schools. Management in Education. Vol. 23. Issue 2: 57-62
- Smith, A. (2009) Darren: A case study in school-College Liaison. Support for Learning. Vol.24 No.4 2009
- Jones, J. and Smith, A. (2010) Facilitating group work: Leading or empowering? (chapter 5). Aims, Ethics and Values in Group Work Assessment. Eds. Foreman-Peck, L. And McDowell, L. CETL Occasional Paper 5. Northumbria University
- Griffiths, S. Smith, A, (2010) Extended Services in Schools: Developing resources to prepare student teachers for a rapidly changing working environment. Support for Learning. Vol 26. Issue 1; 13-16Smith, A. Jones, J. (2011) Is it fair to assess group work for students on undergraduate programmes of study? Narrative reflections on a collaborative project at Level 5. Innovative Practice in Higher Education. Vol. 1(1). April 2011. ISSN: 2044-3315
If you wish to update your personal details please contact a member of the HR team. If you wish to add any other details, such a teaching, publications or research, please contact email@example.com