Cycling is a cheap, healthy and environmentally friendly way of travelling. The University of Northampton's campuses are only two miles apart and there are places to park bicycles securely at both campuses.
Cycling around Northampton
Northampton has a network of off-road cycle ways and on-road advisory routes, including part of National Cycle Network route number 6. Cycle routes can be found by using Northamptonshire County Council's cycle leaflets and maps.
- Park and Avenue Campus are two miles apart
- Park and Avenue Campus are both one mile from Kingsthorpe shops and supermarkets
- Park Campus is three miles and Avenue Campus is one mile from Northampton town centre
The University has over 350 cycle spaces across both campuses, including some secure racking (keys available from the Estates department for a £5 returnable deposit). Please note that bicycles are not permitted inside University Halls of Residence accommodation.
Please do not ride any bicycle on the campus pavements or footpaths, unless clearly signed as a joint foot/cycle way.
Showers are available for students and staff to use in the following locations:
- Everdon (Sports Hall), Park Campus
- Sulgrave (first floor), Park Campus
- Holdenby (sports changing rooms), Park Campus
- The Pavilion (sports changing rooms), Park Campus
- Newton (floor 0), Avenue Campus
- Isham (studios changing rooms), Avenue Campus
View maps of the cycling facilities at Park and Avenue campuses.
Bicycle Users' Group
The University's Bicycle Users' Group helps to facilitate improvements at the University and keep members informed about general cycling news and events. The group gives an opportunity for members of the University to give their opinions and suggestions about how we could improve cycling facilities and increase the number of people cycling to/from the University.
Dr Bike will give your bicycle a thorough check and conduct any minor repairs for free! Dates of Dr Bike sessions will be advertised thoroughout the year.
Health and safety
- Bicycles need to have front and rear lights if being used in the dark
- Bicycles should not be ridden on pavements
- Please be considerate to other road users and pedestrians
- The Highway Code: Rules and legal requirements for cyclists