In a nutshell, as a student or member of staff
- Make copies of most things for your own private study or research, as long as you don't copy more than the legal limits (usually 5% of the whole).
- Make copies of most things for use in examinations or in a dissertation (as long as you acknowledge the source).
- Print or save single copies of articles from electronic journals.
- Show a video in class.
- Put printed or electronic copies into course packs or on NILE (as a member of staff).
You may not:
- Copy a whole book or journal.
- Use any copies you have made for commercial purposes i.e for profit.
- Make copies of any commercially created recordings - e.g feature films.
- Alter any still or moving image you copy or record.
- Copy music or sound recordings (except in some special cases).
Read the rest of these pages to make sure, and ask your Academic Librarians if anything is not clear.