Enterprise is crucial for The University of Northampton, and underpins what we do. We work hard to enable our students to develop the personal confidence and competence they need to get a great degree, and then move on to rewarding jobs or further academic study.
Here at the University, we prepare our students to take an active part in the 21st Century world. We study the changing environment, and develop new ways of enabling our students to learn and enhance their employability.
The University's strategic plan for 2010-2015 states that:
The University of Northampton will become the UK's leading university in Social Enterprise.The University of Northampton's strategic plan
So that our students can share in this unique and exciting goal, we have:
- Set up social enterprises - profitable businesses - that students can work in during their time at the University as part of their courses,
- Developed resources, including funding, so students can set up their own social enterprises,
- A wide range of work placement and volunteering opportunities for students that wish to develop their understanding and skills in the areas of social enterprise,
- Incubation space for new student run social enterprises.
The University's Enterprise Club, located in the library at Park Campus, is where all would-be entrepreneurs and social entrepreneurs can go for professional and friendly advice and practical assistance.
Our Enterprise Inc scheme provides intensive support, and funding, for students and graduates with the desire and inspiration to start a business
Social enterprise vision for The University of Northampton
- By 2015 the University will have justifiably earned a reputation as a leading, socially enterprising University and a leading centre for applied research, teaching and establishing/managing successful social enterprises,
- Academics, clients, and taught course and research students will come to the University of Northampton because it is the socially enterprising university; they will have a unique student experience and leave with significant enterprise competence and enhanced employability,
- All under-graduate students will study modules that develop their entrepreneurial competence and will have the opportunity to work in social enterprises set up by the University that enable them to: earn money, gain experience of working in and managing a business, significantly enhance their attractiveness to employers,
- New intellectual capital will be developed for the University in the area of social enterprise.