The role of 'Diversity Champions' within the University is to develop a two-way communication channel between the Equality and Diversity Action Committee, the University's Equality and Diversity Advisor, and staff and students who have a particular interest in and commitment to equality and diversity issues and concerns, especially as they relate to The University of Northampton.
Requirements of the role are:
- To attend Diversity Champions Group meetings and to feed in ideas, suggestions etc., for the advancement of equality and diversity objectives within the University
- To attend training and development initiatives relevant to the role*
- To be involved in the consultation process(es) for the development, assessment or review of relevant equality and diversity policies, procedures, action plans/equality scheme. To act as a 'critical friend' of the University's equality and diversity work and also to act as an advocate for positive change to address equality and diversity issues within the University
- To promote and, where appropriate, help organise equality and diversity events and disseminate materials (for example E&D/One-World Week, Staff Development events)
- To help the dissemination and sharing of good practice within departments and Schools within the University
- To encourage and support the discussion of specific equality and diversity issues at departmental/School level
- To encourage links with external communities or events
- Equality Champions are not, and will not be considered to be, "representative" of their department/School or of any particular group or "community of interest". However, it is hoped that Equality Champions will be drawn from a range of diverse interests and from all parts of the University community (based on being a member of staff or a student - full or part-time; from all departments/Schools; or whether someone has a particular interest in one or more equality strand(s) - see below).
- Minimum Training requirements (for staff):
- Completion of the basic e-learning package on equality and diversity
The main equality stands are: race/ethnicity, gender, disability, sexuality, age, religion or belief.
Become a Diversity Champion
If you would like to become a Diversity Champion (as a student or a member of staff), please email firstname.lastname@example.org.