Mike Curran initially qualified in podiatry at the University of Salford. Later he gained a BSc(Hons) in Health Science and an M.Phil. in computer coding systems at The University of Leicester This was followed by a PhD in computer expert systems at The University of Northampton. Finally, Mike gained an MBA with distinction at The University of Northampton.
Mike has worked in the National Health Service, industry and is currently Associate Professor at The University of Northampton and works in the School of Health.
Teaching Research Methods.
Post graduate courses in health and podiatry.
Mike is interested in research in forensic science and has recently presented his work on gait analysis in the US. He has supervised several research students but the current one is interested in research on the first metarso phalangeal joint of the foot.
Mike is on the SATRA advisory board and chairs a group of Footwear companies who compose the Healthy Footwear Guide.
- Howe, R., Misselbrook, A. and Curran, M. (2016) Application of gamification principles to enhance delivery of research methods principles within Podiatry. Panel Presentation presented to: Library and Learning Services (LLS) Conference 2016, The University of Northampton, 05 July 2016.
- Curran, M., Ratcliffe, C. and Campbell, J. (2015) A comparison of types and thicknesses of adhesive felt padding in the reduction of peak plantar pressure of the foot: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports. 9(203) 1752-1947. (In Press)
- Browne, T., Curran, M. and Vernon, D. (2015) How useful is thematic analysis as an elicitation technique for analyzing video of human gait in forensic podiatry? Journal of Forensic Identification. 65(6), pp. 999-1012. 0895-173X.
- Stamuli, E., Cockayne, S., Hewitt, C., Hicks, K., Jayakody, S., Kang'ombe, A. R., Turner, G., Thomas, K., Curran, M., Hashmi, F., McIntosh, C., McLarnon, N., Torgerson, D. J. and Watt, I. (2012) Cost-effectiveness of cryotherapy versus salicylic acid for the treatment of plantar warts: economic evaluation alongside a randomised controlled trial (EVerT trial). Journal of Foot and Ankle Research. 5(1:4) 1757-1146.
- Cockayne, S., Hewitt, C., Hicks, K., Jayakody, S., Kang'ombe, A. R., Stamuli, E., Turner, G., Thomas, K., Curran, M., Denby, G., Hasmi, F., McIntosh, C., McLarnon, N., Torgerson, D. and Watt, I. (2011) Cryotherapy versus salicylic acid for the treatment of plantar warts (verrucae): a randomised controlled trial. British Medical Journal (BMJ). , pp. 1-7. 0959-8138.
- Shanks, P., Curran, M., Fletcher, P. and Thompson, R. (2010) The effectiveness of therapeutic ultrasound for musculoskeletal conditions of the lower limb: a literature review. The Foot. 20(4), pp. 133-139. 0958-2592.
- Denby, G., Corr, S., Foreman-Peck, L. and Curran, M. (2009) Preparing podiatry students for inter-professional education. Poster presented to: Society of Chiropodists & Podiatrists Annual Conference and Exhibition, Harrogate, 19-21 November 2009.
- Tweed, J. L., Campbell, J., Thompson, R. and Curran, M. (2008) The function of the midtarsal joint: a review of the literature. The Foot. 18(2), pp. 106-112. 0958-2592.
- Campbell, J., Curran, M., Barnes, A., Borthwick, A., Farndon, L., Hashmi, F., Springett, K. and Vernon, W. (2007) A Guide to research for podiatrists. Keswick UK: M&K Update Ltd. 9781905539413.
- Curran, M. and McRitchie, M. (2007) A randomised control trial for evaluating over-the-counter golf orthoses in alleviating pain in amateur golfers. The Foot. 17(2), pp. 57-64. 0958-2592.
- Campbell, J. and Curran, M. (2007) An introductory guide to putting research into practice 8: obtaining ethical approval. Podiatry Now. 10(5), pp. 23-26. 1460-731X.
- Tweed, J. L., Thompson, R., Campbell, J. and Curran, M. (2007) The function of the mid-tarsal joint. Paper presented to: Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists Annual Conference, Harrogate, 18-20 October 2007.
- Curran, M., Campbell, J. and Rugg, G. (2006) An investigation into the clinical reasoning of both expert and novice podiatrists. The Foot. 16(1), pp. 28-32. 0958-2592.
- Curran, M., Rugg, G. and Campbell, J. (2006) Would podiatrists benefit from an expert system for clinical reasoning and diagnosis? A study using laddering. The Foot. 16(2), pp. 71-75. 0958-2592.
- Curran, M., Rugg, G. and Corr, S. (2005) Attitudes to expert systems: a card sort study. The Foot. 15(4), pp. 190-197. 0958-2592.
- Curran, M. (2005) Can a computer expert system aid the process of clinical decision-making in podiatry? Doctoral thesis. The University of Northampton.
- Papadopoulos, E. S., Nicolopoulos, C., Anderson, E. G., Curran, M. and Athanasopoulos, S. (2005) The role of ankle bracing in injury prevention, athletic performance and neuromuscular control: a review of the literature. The Foot. 15(1), pp. 1-6. 0958-2592.
- Prud'homme, P. J. and Curran, M. (1999) A preliminary study of the use of an algometer to investigate whether or not patients benefit when podiatrists enucleate corns. The Foot. 9(2), pp. 65-67. 0958-2592.