Gillian is an Academic Librarian working with the School of Health. I am based at Park Library.
Key responsibilities include:
- delivering integrated teaching and learning programmes in information and IT skills for students and academic staff
- day-to-day management of the materials budget for the School of Health
- building collections in support of learning, teaching and research activities of the School of Health
- liaising both formally (via School and Course Boards) and informally with staff of the School of Health on learning support issues.
- promoting departmental services to students and staff
- representing Library and Learning Services proactively in institutional meetings and to liaise as appropriate with other departments on learning support issues
Gillian has worked in Librarianship and Information Management in Further and Higher Education for four years. She has a BA (Hons) in Comparative American Studies from the University of Warwick and spent a year studying at the University of California, San Diego. She has an MA in Information and Library Management from Loughborough University. Gillian is currently studying for the PGCTHE through the School of Education whilst working at the University of Northampton. She is a member of the Libraries for Nursing committee, part of the Health Libraries Group.
My research interests include reading lists as a pedagogical tool for developing Information Literacy amongst undergraduate students. I have recently won the LIRG Research Award with my colleague Hannah Rose to fund our research in this area.
- Cameron, C. and Siddall, G. (2016) Opening lines of communication: book ordering and reading lists, the academics view. New Review of Academic Librarianship. 1361-4533. (Accepted)
- Siddall, G. (2016) University academics’ perceptions of reading list labels. New Library World. 117(7/8), pp. 440-448. 0307-4803.
- Cameron, C. and Siddall, G. (2015) Academic staff perceptions and use of reading lists for book ordering. SCONUL Focus. 64, pp. 41-44. 1745-5790.
- Power, A. and Siddall, G. (2015) Ensuring practice is based on the best evidence: masterclass on literature searching. British Journal of Midwifery. 23(5), pp. 356-358. 0969-4900.
- Siddall, G. (2014) Committee Member. Libraries for Nursing.
- Dimmock, G. and Siddall, G. (2014) Survival: how to do your existing job and more ... with fewer people. Paper presented to: Librarians’ Information Literacy Annual Conference (LILAC) 2014, Sheffield Hallam University, 23-25 April 2014. (Unpublished)
- Siddall, G. (2013) HELP! An AL's survival guide to developing online tutorials without time or skill. Seminar Presentation presented to: Librarians' Information Literacy Annual Conference (LILAC), University of Manchester, 25-27 March 2013. (Unpublished)
- Siddall, G. and Rose, H. (2013) Reading List (R)evolution - exploring the value of reading lists as a pedagogical tool to support students' development of information skills. Seminar Presentation presented to: The Workshop for Instruction in Library Use (WILU) 2013, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, 08-10 May 2013. (Unpublished)
- Siddall, G. and Rose, H. (2013) Short video on behalf of LIRG Research award 2011 winners Hannah Rose and Gillian Siddall. Invited Presentation presented to: Library and Information Research Group (LIRG) AGM: LIRG Research Award Winners, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, 01 July 2013. (Unpublished)
- Siddall, G. and Carter, B. (2012) Putting theory into practice: how can we better support practitioners returning to education? A session organised by Libraries for Nursing Subject Group of HLG. Seminar Presentation presented to: Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) Health Libraries Group Conference (HLG) 2012, Glasgow Science Centre, 12 - 13 July 2012. (Unpublished)
- Siddall, G., Rose, H. and MacLellan, F. (2012) Reading list (R)evolution – exploring the value of reading lists as a pedagogical tool to support students' development of information skills. Seminar Presentation presented to: Improving Student Learning Symposium 2012, Lund University, Sweden, 29 - 31 August 2012. (Unpublished)
- Rose, H. and Siddall, G. (2012) Reading lists - time for a reality check? Invited Presentation presented to: Librarians’ Information Literacy Annual Conference (LILAC 2012), Glasgow Caledonian University, Scotland, 11-13 April 2012. [Also presented at: Research Active, Library and Learning Services Conference, The University of Northampton, 19 June 2012] (Unpublished)
- Siddall, G. (2010) Book review: Understanding Healthcare Information, by Lyn Robinson. Information & Computer Sciences Subject Centre (ICS) of The Higher Education Academy (HEA) website.