Associate Director at the Northampton Institute of Urban Affairs. A multidisciplinary research and consultancy centre focusing on the Built Environment. Brings together academics from across the University and built environment practitioners. Personal interests in Community Development, Social Care and Social Work. Particularly interested in the importance of community in facilitating change, seeing the importance of a prevent agenda and the need to focus more attention on developing communities to address societies problems. Involved in researching new approaches to service delivery and the developing area of social innovation. I am a registered social worker and previously worked in child protection social work with my main focus being on child protection assessments. Started working at the University in 2002 as a Senior lecturer in social Worker and course leader in Social Welfare.
Recent Conference Presentations and Papers 30/11/2011 Staffordshire University ‘Social Enterprise Friend or Foe to Social Work' Presentation to Social work students -Post Qualifying Award - Children and Young People 2/11/2011 Govtoday Sustainable Communities 2011: Local Growth, Local Futures ‘Industry Best Practice Case Study’ 5/4/2011 University of East London 'Public policy in the U.K. promoting social enterprises - rhetoric and practice' – presentation to Danish policy makers 25/6/2010 Skills for Care Conference, University of Northampton Professionalising the Social Care Workforce - A Challenge to the Sector 4/6/2009 ‘How can Community Anchors contribute to the overall social improvement and well-being of a locality? The Tool Factory Community Anchors: Fit For Purpose 22/5/2009 Northampton Business School Social Enterprise in the U.K. and China – A Comparative Perspective ‘Social Enterprises: Health and Wellbeing’ 26/11/2008 University of East London 'How do you teach social entrepreneurship?' 4/10/2008 Kogakkan University, Japan, Faculty of Social Welfare 10th Anniversary International Symposium ‘The changing U.K welfare landscape; a focus on Child protection’ The University of Northampton (2008) Learning and Teaching Conference ‘Try it, Do it, Reflect on it, Learn from it!’ FinPin conference, Finland (2008) Promoting Entrepreneurship by Universities Social Entrepreneurship in the Social Policy Curriculum. 10/12/2007 World University Network, Leeds University Social Entrepreneurship in the Social Policy Curriculum. July 2007 Social Policy Association Social Entrepreneurship in the Social Policy Curriculum.
Over recent years Chris has becoming increasingly interested in Social Enterprises and social innovation. Current research interests in Community development, social enterprise and adult social care. Recent Research Fdf (2011) Designing and Developing Reusable Learning Objects – joint project with the School of Health Fdf/Skills for Care (2010) Designing and Developing a Community cohesion in Irthlingborough (2009)–Dunkley, L., Durkin, C. and Horton, J. Review of the Use of Agency Placements for Looked after Children and out of County Residential Placements (2007) Part of a research team Evaluation of Sure Start Northampton (2006) Part of a research team Use of Assisted Technologies in a sheltered housing Development (2005) Corr, S., Woolridge, A., Siddons, L , Campbell, J., Durkin, C., Colburn, C. and Wilkinson M. ‘Young people’s health in Northamptonshire’ (2005) Cate Armstrong, S., Campbell, J., Durkin, C., Everett, S., Horton, J., Kraftl, P., Matthews, H and Parkes, J. ‘Matrics Project Evaluation’ (2005) Northamptonshire Social Care and Health 'Blackthorn Good Neighbours Project Evaluation' (2003) Gunn, R., Cate Armstrong, S., Durkin, C., Gilbert, A & Salmons, G.
- Alden Rivers, B., Armellini, A., Maxwell, R., Allen, S. and Durkin, C. (2015) Social innovation education: towards a framework for learning design. Higher Education, Skills and Work-based Learning. 5(4), pp. 383-400. 2042-3896.
- Durkin, C. (2014) A local approach to social innovation. Invited Keynote presented to: Social Innovation in Cities: Challenges and Opportunities, San Sebastian, Spain, 18 February 2014. (Unpublished)
- Durkin, C. and Irwin, W. (2014) Developing social innovators and social entrepreneurs through a creative and innovative programme. Paper presented to: Northampton Learning and Teaching Conference 2014: Northampton 2018: Planning, Designing and Delivering Student Success, The University of Northampton, 22 May 2014. (Unpublished)
- Durkin, C. (2014) Partnerships a key to success: a case study of a successful EU-wide social enterprise university multi-partnership. Invited Presentation presented to: Social Enterprise Education - Can We Learn From Each Other?, University of Greenwich, 20 November 2014. (Unpublished)
- Durkin, C. (2013) Recent trends for social enterprises in the United Kingdom. Invited Presentation presented to: Kwansei Gakuin University, Japan, 10-13 January 2013. (Unpublished)
- Durkin, C. (2013) Social enterprises in a changing social welfare landscape. Invited Presentation presented to: Kwansei Gakuin University, Japan, 10-13 January 2013. (Unpublished)
- Denny, S., Durkin, C., Irwin, W., Moore, C. and Toyer, B. (2012) Developing a socially entrepreneurial university. Invited Presentation presented to: 2012 Conference on Entrepreneurial Universities, Munster, Germany, 25-27 April 2012. (Unpublished)
- Field, M. and Durkin, C. (2012) Instigation of the Collaborative Centre for the Built Environment and indicative Business Plan. (Unpublished)
- Durkin, C. (2010) Challenges, opportunities and threats. Children Webmag. April
- Durkin, C. and Moore, C. (2010) Future workforce and higher education: creating a professional social care practitioner and professionalising the workforce. Invited Keynote presented to: Professionalising the Social Care Workforce: a Challenge to the Sector, Sunley Management Centre, Northampton, 25 June 2010. (Unpublished)
- Durkin, C. (2010) How will the coalition rate children's needs? Children Webmag. July
- Gunn, R. and Durkin, C., (eds.) (2010) Social Entrepreneurship: A Skills Approach. Bristol, England: Policy Press. 9781847422897.
- Durkin, C. and Gunn, R. (2010) Stakeholder participation and involvement in social enterprises. In: Gunn, R. and Durkin, C. (eds.) Social Enterpreneurship: A Skills Approach. Bristol, England: Policy Press. pp. 45-57.
- Curtis, T. (2010) The challenges and risks of innovation in social entrepreneurship. In: Gunn, R. and Durkin, C. (eds.) Social Entrepreneurship: a Skills Approach. Bristol: Policy Press. pp. 83-98.
- Durkin, C. (2010) Wake up call. Children Webmag. Feb
- Durkin, C. (2009) A recipe for disaster. Children Webmag. July
- Durkin, C. (2009) Of dissertations and disclosures. Children Webmag. August
- Durkin, C. (2009) The art and science of child protection. Children Webmag. Oct
- Durkin, C. (2009) The danger of neglecting neglect. Children Webmag. Dec
- Campbell, J., Durkin, C., Kennedy, S., Armstrong, S. C., Kraftl, P. and Matthews, M. H. (2007) Review of the use of agency placements for looked after children and out-of-county residential placements. Prepared for Northamptonshire County Council Children and Young People's Scrutiny Committee (Unpublished)
- Gunn, R., Durkin, C., Singh, G. and Brown, J. (2007) Social entrepreneurship in the social policy curriculum. Paper presented to: Social Policy Association Conference, Birmingham University, 23 -25 July 2007. (Unpublished)
- Gunn, R., Durkin, C., Singh, G. and Brown, J. (2007) Social entrepreneurship in the social policy curriculum. Paper presented to: Inspiring and Developing Enterprising People, Building Global Networks, Leeds University, 10 -11 December 2007. (Unpublished)